Lighting problem

My house has ceiling hall lighting. There are three fixures that are linked -- they are controlled by five different wall switches; each wall switch will turn all three fixtures on or off. You can't turn the overhead fixtures on individually -- all three go on and off together.

This morning I turned on the hall light, and I saw a bright flash from one of the overhead fixtures, like when a bulb dies. I replaced the bulbs in that fixture (each fixture has two bulbs.) But the lights will not go on at all now. It doesn't matter which wall switch I use; none of the fixtures will turn on. There is not a blown fuse at the breaker.

What is going on? What should I do to get my lights back?

Thanks

Reply to
Billy

It sounds like it also blew out something else. That could be wiring at any of the devices (any light or switch) or even one of the switches. It also could be a fuse/breaker as they often look OK even when they are out.

I would start with the fixture that had the flash. If you are not 100% sure and comfortable of your electrical skills, I suggest having a pro come in. It should take very little time for them to find and fix the problem.

BTW any dimmer as one of the switches? They tend to blow when a light goes. It also may have triggered a GFI in a bath room or kitchen, check them as well.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hi Billy!

B > My house has ceiling hall lighting. There are three fixures that are B > linked -- they are controlled by five different wall switches; each B > wall switch will turn all three fixtures on or off. You can't turn the B > overhead fixtures on individually -- all three go on and off together. B > B > This morning I turned on the hall light, and I saw a bright flash from B > one of the overhead fixtures, like when a bulb dies. I replaced the B > bulbs in that fixture (each fixture has two bulbs.) But the lights B > will not go on at all now. It doesn't matter which wall switch I use; B > none of the fixtures will turn on. There is not a blown fuse at the B > breaker. B > B > What is going on? What should I do to get my lights back?

The other respondant's reply was pretty good. Before "playing with the wiring" be sure the power is off. Just because the lights aren't working doesn't mean you don't have power to some of the circuit.

I would also probably start where you saw the flash. More than likely you will find a shorted wire (black to white or ground). When this shorted it probably killed another component which is why you don't have power.

Write down the wiring as you undo to test. Just because you think you'll remember what wire goes where.... Also be cautious of little quirks like having two black wires to two different places. Number them, put a coloured band (fingernail polish, masking tape) to distinguish. It worked before, you just need to find out what failed and fix it; you don't want to have to figure out the wiring.

  • Note to women: ALL men see only 16 colors. Peach is a fruit, not a color.
Reply to
barry martin