lighting placement questi

Joe:

JC> I need some help/advice for installing general (not task) can lamps in a JC> kitchen ceiling. JC> JC> This installation will be in the work, not eating area. They are 4", JC> non-directional cans that will be above a U-shaped counter/work area. The JC> dimensions of the U are 10' on the legs and 8' for the bottom of the U. JC> The entire work area has upper cabinets above it as well. I don't feel the JC> need for a central light in the middle of the U as the penumbras of the JC> installed lights should be adequate, I think, for lighting this less-used JC> space (no island). However, I would like to have good, relatively JC> shadow-free lighting on the countertops. JC> JC> The countertops are a standard 24" deep and the upper cabinets are a JC> standard 12" deep. JC> JC> How far back (or forward) of the countertop edge should these lights be JC> placed?

As Mark said, wire up one or two and test placement before installing. Might be a good idea to have a second person standing as if doing tasks: in front of the cooktop, at the sink, etc., to see how the shadows fall. I know you indicated these lights were not for task lighting but since you have a choice of light placement may as well not have these drawbacks.

  • Nagline: Don't use that tone with me!
Reply to
barry martin