LG washing machines to cost Americans more — gues s who’s to blame?

On 01/27/2018 04:13 AM, Bod wrote:

He needs to go back to saving spotted owl habitat. But to get back to the title, LG and Samsung have been playing whack-a-mole for years and undercutting US manufacturers like Maytag and GE. It's time to protect and rebuild US industries. Estimates are a protective tariff on washing machines might raise prices up to 15%, say $120 on a $800 machine. Considering most people don't buy one every year and the life expectancy is about 12 years, that's $10 a year to bring back US manufacturing jobs.
Yeah, I know the American way is to look out for number one and the hell with the nation. MAGA, unless it costs me a few bucks. Stop illegal immigration unless you're talking about that guy who mows my lawn.
Of course, with a 'propositional' nation there is little incentive to give a damn.
On 1/27/2018 12:05 PM, rbowman wrote:

But will it? Remember when Toyota was selling above sticker price because people wanted them? Will increasing the cost of LG get people to buy Maytag and add jobs in Mexico: Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua?
I don't think it will make a lot of difference in the end and won't create jobs. I'd classify it as more of a publicity stunt.
On 01/27/2018 12:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have no idea. All I know about washing machines comes from periodic trips to the laundromat. I dimly recall buying a used one when I was married but that was a long time ago.
On 1/28/18 12:35 PM, BurfordTJustice wrote:

thank you for proving my point