leaving my home for the winter

Hi there,

I will be leaving my home for the winter months and need to know what I have to do to avoid any potential accidents. What temperature do I keep my house at? I currently heat my home with a gas fireplace. I have gas hot water as well. Electric stove and washer and dryer. I would really appreciate any tips. I am rather nervous about leaving my home. We get some cold winters here.

Thanks in advance Cynthia

Reply to
Cynthia

The only real concern is the water pipes freezing from the cold. You can turn everything except the heat off. heating your home with a gas fireplace worries me. Is it tied into a thermostat? If so I would set the thermostat at 62 degrees. if not you might need a enighbor to help you because to leave a fireplace on for an extended period of time unmonotred is not good. Here's another idea. Shut off the water service from the meter outside and then drain the pipes and leave a few spigots inside the house open so the pipes won't break and then leave all of the gas appliances off. You could even shut the gas off at the main valve to be safe.

candice

Reply to
CLSSM00X7

I second Mr. Meehan. This approach is more work, but insures no damage due to mechanical or electrical failure.

Tom Baker

Reply to
Tom Baker

Consider renting it out while you are gone, or check into house sitting services. A scary item is that many insurance companies opt out of any damage to an unoccupied dwelling in the event of, for example, a major ice storm that shuts off utilities or a failure of a thermostat. PLay it safe and scheck it out. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Winterize like everyone says, but two more things.

Dishwashers and washing machines need to be winterized, as described in their instructions. (draining and having some RV antifreeze put in.) Antifreeze also goes in the toilets, and anywhere else you can't get every drop of water out.

Presumably you have a monthly minimum charge for electrical, even if you don't use any. Might as well use it by putting a heat tape on your water inlet. I have never done that since I have a well, but would if I didn't.

A related question... I drain my water in my unheated cottage as soon as the forecast is for a night below freezing. I expect that is premature. How cold does it have to be before damage is likely, and for how long?

Reply to
Wade Lippman

"My gas fireplace is thermostat controlled. Is it a good idea to not heat the home at all. Won't that cause some damage? Also will regular antifreeze work? How important is it to empty the drains? . Will pouring the antifreeze be sufficient? Some of my drains are easy to drain. Newer pipes. But house is old and the kitchen drain looks like it would be difficult to open. Don't want to make more work for myself if not needed. Should i drain my hot water tank as well? Thanks again. Cynthia

Reply to
Cynthia

Less chance of damage than you would risk otherwise.

Get the RV stuff. It is made for that kind of job and is safe for the pipes and the enviroment when you come back.

Not as long as you use the antifreeze. Don't do either and you will be in for some expensive plumbing.

YES.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan
1st check if main water valve seals , does not leak...or back into house ,, Drain everything , and hot water tank , clothes washer may ' hold water" always , contact mnfg. use RV or appropriate antifreeze Everywhere there is standing water even Floor traps and Basement Traps.. Basicly you want to remove ALL WATER , whatever is left is treated with antifreeze..... good luck, if you need more help contact me, also contact your ins co for what is covered, Ive heard of several people who have had mains leak and did not prepair for it , plan ahead , good research and luck
Reply to
mark Ransley

I don't think winterizing is a good idea unless you know what you're doing. I doubt any of those who told you to turning off the heat ctually live in canada, let alone having left their house for a year without attendance.

Without heating, the accumulated snow on your roof may crush your roof. Depending how long is your driveway, a friend may not be able to drive up to your house without plowing. The snow may stop your door from opening after a few snows.

Renting it out to a reliable family at low rental (free?) is a good idea.

If you have to leave it empty. Turn on the heat. Call a snow plow service to clean your driveway for a season service, so your friend feel like checking your house at least once a week. Put no junk mail sign in your mail box. Get a few timers to turn on and off the light to make it appear someone living in the house. Having a plant to semi-force your friend to step inside the house to water the plant every another day is a good idea.

Reply to
Karen

In your case that's 'brains leak', retardo boy..

Reply to
the_plumber

I live where it gets to -20 but home possesions are different ,, as is security , she never mentioned this as important, only freezing....

Reply to
mark Ransley

In addition to what other contributors mentioned, my plumber mentioned leaving the water taps open and blowing them out with compressed air, just to be sure no water would be trapped in sags in horizontal runs. No one has mentioned sump pumps -- leave them energized, or shut them off?

Reply to
Artfd

If You have a neigbor as close as 100 ft or so Radio Shack sells a Battery operated remote temperture device ($50) with digital read out so neighbor will know if your heat shuts down .Also an alarm Co could provide the same service. JW

Reply to
John