Leak in ceiling

I live in a townhouse in NJ and had my roof replaced about 5 years ago. The roofer did a good job and replaced the plywood sheet where it was leaking before. However, whenever there is a large amount of snowfall, there is a leak in the first floor living room (There is another level above this and there are no leaks there) The leak is about three feet from the fireplace that leads to the chimney. It does not leak when there are heavy rains or light snow. In fact, it has leaked only twice after some really heavy sn owfalls. I walked up to the attic and found no leaks there either. I don't know if there's a problem with the flashing around the chimney, but if it was, the ceiling should have leaked for a heavy rain or light snow.

Unfortunately, the roofer who did the installation does not return calls a nymore. Before I call another roofing guy and have him tear apart the ceiling, etc I wanted to find out if anybody in this forum can point out what could be a probably cause, it will help.

Thanks, VJ

Reply to
vj

guessing.

normal rain, the flashing works.

high snow, the flashing leaks, hmmmm, must be 'above' the flashing outside enabling the intrusion.

probably wicking down the chimney, then over to a rafter and sub flooring and then drip into the ceiling.

solution may be as simple as shoring up the hieght of the flashing. or improve its effectiveness.

Reply to
RobertMacy

RobertMacy wrote: ...

check the seal around any caulk at the top of the flashing. sometimes it looks ok, but it isn't really sticking.

also, look for nails pushing back up from the moisture expanding and contracting the wood. if you can see the shingle not laying flat to seal then it might be the cause.

or you may just be leaking from an ice dam backing up.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

sounds like an ice dam problem, perhaps??

Reply to
clare

he roofer did a good job and replaced the plywood sheet where it was leakin g before. However, whenever there is a large amount of snowfall, there is a leak in the first floor living room (There is another level above this a nd there are no leaks there) The leak is about three feet from the firepla ce that leads to the chimney. It does not leak when there are heavy rains or light snow. In fact, it has leaked only twice after some really heavy snowfalls. I walked up to the attic and found no leaks there either. I don 't know if there's a problem with the flashing around the chimney, but if i t was, the ceiling should have leaked for a heavy rain or light snow.

tc I wanted to find out if anybody in this forum can point out what could b e a probably cause, it will help.

*It sounds as though you have an ice damming problem. Water is backing upw ards and getting under the shingles as a result of ice on the edge of the r oof preventing the melting snow from draining off. Installing a heat tape in the rain gutter and along the edge of the roof should alleviate this. S omething like this would help:

In order to figure how the water is getting down to the first floor ceiling , you should start by cutting a hole in that ceiling.

Reply to
John G

vj posted for all of us...

light snow. In fact, it has leaked only twice after some really heavy snowfalls. I walked up to the attic and found no leaks there either. I don't know if there's a problem with the flashing around the chimney, but if it was, the ceiling should have leaked for a heavy rain or light snow.

Probably an ice dam created by the insulation that was removed or destroyed by the first leak. Heat is getting in the space and melting the snow which travels under the shingles. It should have had a membrane installed so the roofer the roofer dis not do a good job.

Reply to
Tekkie®