Leak in caravan roof

HI All, I have a leakin my van roof which seems to be hard to fix , A friend told me of a paint like substance to paint over the entire roof, and its 100% but he cannot think of the name , the trade name may be simailar from anywhere in the world , I live in the country (Remote Australia ) so I have had no secess tracking it down ,

PLEESE any HELP Lural from down under

Reply to
Breaker 291

Not sure whether you'd be able to get it over there, but try a search for EPDB rubber... Might (ok, will) look like crap unless you can find a way to make it look neat, but it should be pretty effective :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Leaks are easy to FIX, they are just bloody hard to FIND.

I had one on our camper.

I looked like a teeny bit of mastic had fallen out of a window frame. Didn't seem to be enough to account for the leak, but I filled it with decorators caulk, and no more water has come in.

Suggest you go over every single joint in the van, and remake any suspect ones with a mastic.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What is the roof make of - is it fibreglass or sheet aluminium? If the latter, the leak will almost certainly be in one of the joints - in which case it is necessary to remove the trim strip which covers the joint and re-pack it with non-drying mastic. That would be better than painting something over the whole roof.

Reply to
Roger Mills

i find aluminium caravans roofs always leak every year because of the heat of the sun expanding and contracting the joints.. i just scrape them out with a blunt chisel and paint with any old paint...

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Our two caravans are aluminium, one a 1960s and the other from the 1970s.

Their roofs have never leaked.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The van roof panels don't usually leak (barring impact damage), the _seams_ in the van roof leak.

If you go to a yacht chandlers, there's something called "Captain Barnacle's patent leak cure" (Captain Tolley? Something like that). This is a runny goop that soaks into thin seams or crazed fibreglass, then sets. Not cheap, but you don't need much to do the seams with a thin brush and it does work.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Weatherproof PVA might work just as well.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C