Leak at P-trap and at drain valve.

I have a leak at the P-trap under my kitchen sink. I noticed it while in the process of replacing my garbage disposer. It could have been leaking before. Not sure. It leaks at the big chrome nut that connects the P-trap to the pipe giong into the wall. I tryed a wrench around it but I can't budge it to loosen or tighten it. There appears to be some brown stuff on the threads but that could be just bacteria or whatever. Not sure. Is it sealed on or something? What do I do to fix this?

Also I notice at my drain valve of my hot water heater I notice the insulation on the sides stays damp. I recently replaced the plastic leaking one(leaking at the outlet) with a brass one. Also underneath the grommet on the outside of the hot water heater jacket I notice tiny droplets like condensation. I see no leak where the drain valve connects. No water is under the hot water heater either. I can leave a towel underneath and it never gets wet. So it the dampness normal maybe? The insulation did get really wet when I replace the valve because the tank still had some water left and it gushed out. But it's been a few weeks now.

Reply to
Grendel

Save yourself some trouble and just replace the whole thing (P-trap, nuts, compression washers, etc.).

Reply to
Bill

Didn't you read the part that said "I tryed a wrench around it but I can't budge it to loosen or tighten it." Makes replacing it a bit tough don't you think?

Reply to
Grendel