Ceramic tile replacement in bathrooms

I need to replace the tiles in my bathrooms. It's been a pain finding a reasonable price and a good contractors to do this. Plus it seems that it's not that difficult. Here are some reasons I have not attempted it. Please provide your recommendations.

  1. The current ceramic tile was glued directly to the plywood. No Duroc. I would like to put Duroc down as all contractors mention. I'm not too handy with nails, etc.

  1. Because of number 1 the floor height would rise. This means the tiles at the bottom row of the wall (not sure what they're called) would have to be removed, cleaned, cut and put back on.

  2. Also because of number 1 and the fact that my wall to wall vanities are installed on TOP of the tile when the house was built there is a partial tile sticking out from the vanity. Recommendations I have heard for this are to leave the partial tile and glue or whatever a new partial tile to it. OR somethin like that. IF not then the vanities, plumbing, etc gotta come up.

So not you see why I'm hesitant. If not for the floor height issue I would probably attempt this.

Reply to
Grendel

pull up the ply. put down duroc. make sure the underlayment is not too flexible for tile.

floor would be lowered by removing the plywood first

remove the vanities/fixtures before tiling

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

On 24 Aug 2004 09:32:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Grendel) posted:

Drywall screws will go right through the Durock. Use galvanized screws (they'll take longer to rust and break than the black type).

Why make extra work? The bottom row can stay. The new joint sounds like a job for a good white caulk smear over the grout. Or some low-rise cove base. Or some quarter round and silicone adhesive.

Now you have also heard that you can use a hammer and chisel to trim off the offending tile stubs. Or use a drill with a diamond cutoff wheel. Or get a rotozip-type tool. Your call. No need to remove any fixtures. Again, why make extra work?

You have lots of options. Let 'er rip.

Reply to
Tom Rojas

I don't want to do any of this work. I have never done tile work before and I don't want to do a job like this, where you have some added factors as my first one.

Reply to
Grendel