leaf blower burned up my cord

I have a corded leaf blower and an attachment I use to blow out my gutters from the ground. Toro makes an attachment that actually fits correctly on their model blower.

I noticed a little burning odor today, then the next time i started the blower it barely turned over. I looked at the connection between extension cord and blower and smoke was pouring out.

There were black marks on one slot of the cord. There was black gunk baked on one prong of the blower connection - presumably charred melted rubber. It took forever to file it off, tough stuff. Cleaned up it ran fine with a different cord, but I only had a shorter one so had to move outlets more often.

I haven't run into this before. It must have had a bad contact that arced? But only one side burned. I've had that cord a couple decades at least.

Reply to
TimR

Once something goes wrong on a connection like that the resistance increases. That generates heat, which further degrades it and damages insulation, etc. The resistance goes higher, generating more heat until failure.

Reply to
trader_4

I went to mow the lawn one last time this year and near the end where the cord had already been repaired 15 or 20 years ago, I saw sparking and smoking for at least 4 seconds. When I unwrapped the previous repair, only the ground wire was in one piece, and the two power wires were touching, but it hadn't tripped the circuit breaker I wrapped the repair in silicon(e?) tape which is really great for this sort of thing.

Reply to
micky

It wouldn't have been much more effort to do a proper repair, right?

As a rule, I object to 'wrap it up and hide it' type of "repairs".

Reply to
Jim Joyce

You mean solder it? Normally that would not have been much effort, as I did 15 or 20 years ago, but there are things piled in front of the soldering irons now.

Or if you mean put a new end on, they don't sell new ends that would fit into the lawnmower handlebar connector.

Reply to
micky

Solder is usually a poor choice for "automotive" repairs, which this is related to. You need a strong physical connection, which then lends itself to a strong electrical connection. Solder doesn't provide a strong physical connection.

You're standing next to the mower, not me, so you're in the best position to decide how to repair it.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I've had that problem too. How about something like this?

TimR

Thnks. I'll keept this in mind for next time it fails. (Of course the last tiem I got 10 or 15 years out of the repair, but this time the wires are just the right stiffness but they are just spliced by merely twisting them around each other. )

Jim, the mower has a "tab" that holds the cord in place and the splice is between the tab and the plugged in end, so not much stress on the splice. I also use the cord for weedwacking, but it has a similar arrangement. We shall see how long it lasts.

Reply to
micky

I think a brand name licensed repair job will do better for insurance purposes.

Reply to
bruce bowser

Harbor Freight has the Vanguard #5-15 female plug for $2.99.

It fits into my Toro leaf blower and my Black & Decker hedge trimmer.

Reply to
TimR

Hiring someone to repair an extension cord? Insurance? It's an outdoor cord and I'm always there when I'm using it.

FWIW, when I'm not using it, for the last 20 years it has lain in the grass, through rain and snow, connected to a GFI breaker, and the breaker has only tripped once those 20 years.

Reply to
micky

Here it is:

It looks like it might be too big but if it worked for those two things of yours, I guess it would have worked. Good to know for next time. Thanks.

Reply to
micky

I was very surprised to see it fit. Like you I have equipment with centered prongs. But for $2.99 I figured it was worth a try, and if it didn't fit the lawn equipment it would still give me a long cord for Christmas tree lights or something. So I cut off the last 3 feet of cord and stuck this on. And to my surprise it will work on at least some of my stuff.

I was also a bit surprised by how well made it was, considering HF.

Reply to
TimR

My understanding is that HF was started by an older guy and his adult son, and the initial focus was on selling at the lowest possible price. Ever since the old guy died, the son seems to be making an effort to offer some decent quality stuff, alongside the usual cheap crap, with price being the major differentiator.

I was talking to a mechanic friend awhile back, and he was gushing about HF's Quinn brand of tools, I think. He said they cost far less than his usual sources, Matco and Snap-On, they were just as good, and they come with a lifetime warranty. Break a tool or simply wear it out, and all you need to do is bring it to any HF store and they'll replace it on the spot. No receipt needed and no warranty period to be concerned about.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

That's good to know.

My impression is that a lot of new businesses, for example motels and car rentals, start off trying to appeal to the lowest-spending market, and when they are successfully established, they raise their prices and probably improve their product to match.

I never rented cars when they were starting out, but Dollar, Thrifty, and Budget are names that seem desgined to appeal to "budget" customers. I think now tthey are as good ans as expensive as anyone else. There are iirc motel chains with names like that too.

Reply to
micky

Depends on what you want. When traveling with my wife we would stop at Holiday Inn or equal. Decent room, a breakfast buffet in the morning, etc.

When traveling alone, Motel 6, Super 8, etc. I sleep about 6 or 7 hours and I'm on my way. Price difference is at least $50 or more.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Used to be a franchise operation up here called "Rent-a-Wreck". Nothing newer than about 5 years of age

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Okay, not *anyone* else.

Yeah, I don't rmemeber but I think those numbers somehow represented the low room price, and one used to (still does) have a big permanent outdoor sign with the room rate on it.

I didn't like wikipedia when it started, but they are often the only ones that give history:

Motel 6 was founded in Santa Barbara, California, in 1962, ... developed a plan to build motels with rooms at low cost rates. They decided on a $6 room rate per night (equivalent to $54 in 2021), ...hence the company name "Motel 6"

and for Super 8: The original room rate was US$8.88 (equivalent to $50.07 in 2021), hence the numeric brand name -- It started in 74, 12 years later, so the price was 36% higher.

Reply to
micky

We have that here too. Still do. Only one in Baltimore but it's not far, and it's around the corner from the woman who wanted to borrow my car.

Not as cheap as I would have hoped, but still cheaper than new. Why do I need a new car?

Webapage says no cars for rent!

Reply to
micky

I used Rent-a-Wreck in Denver, CO, in the summer of 1977. I didn't have a credit card and they were the only ones who didn't care.

Reply to
Jim Joyce