Leaf Blower

I have a small Sears Craftsman leaf blower and I am having trouble starting it. Anyone know what the gap on the spark plug should be

Reply to
Glenn Hewitt

what does your manual say?

if you don't have it, you can get one off the sears site.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

probably somewhere around 20- 25

Reply to
notspike

Well the old leaf blower has just about had it. So, we are going to treat ourselves to a new one. The present is hand held, 2 cycle gas and we will probably go that way for the new one. Any recommendations or units to avoid? I probably don't want to spend $300 on a Stihl or one of those "fancy" names as the unit we have has lasted many years and was only about $100 back then.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Leaf blowing and vacuuming with a blower/vac is like pissing into the wind in my mind. I used to do it that way. Now I use a mulch blade on my lawn mower bagger and suck up the leaves with much less screwing around.

Reply to
LSMFT

It does not vacuum but I have been very pleased with the feather-weight Poulan or Weedeater that I bought. I would have to go to the garage to be sure which.

My back enjoys the lighter weight and it starts real nicely.

Reply to
Colbyt

Not to mention that the leaf dust gets everywhere. The cars need washing after my neighbor has a leaf-blowing blowout and the windows of the house get coated, too. Mulching and bagging is the way to go!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

You can only mulch up to a point, if you have big trees. I chop them up till I have trouble seeing grass under there, and then start raking and blowing. I don't have a tractor, so collecting them with the mower bag is out of the question- I'd get maybe one row per bagful. Quicker to rake at that point. Thankfully, I have a nice rubbermaid cart and a tree line to dump the leaves in, and don't have to bag or haul like my neighbors do. (Many of them dump leaves and grass and such in the drainage lot out by the front of the subdivision.) A matched pair of rakes, used like giant salad tongs, is a back-friendly way to fill the cart- no stooping involved. Start at one edge of yard, and blow till the pile is a foot or so thick. Then fill and dump the cart enough times till the mound is gone, and start blowing again. Goes pretty quick. After 5 years of trial and error (like blowing onto tarps and dragging them), I have come up with a routine that works, and doesn't leave me bedridden for a week. I do covet a tractor, but with less than half an acre once house, shed, and driveway are subtracted, I just can't justify it. Heaven knows my fat gut needs the exercise.

And I actually got the gutters blown before they got full of ice this year!

Reply to
aemeijers

How long is a good life for a machine, my Echo blower Sthil trimmer and Lawnboy were purchased in 1985 or 86 they still run and I use them fairly hard. I didnt know Sthil was " fancy".

Reply to
ransley

I'd rather empty my lawn bagger every 2 feet than mess with blowing.

Reply to
LSMFT

i bought an echo blower/sucker about 6 weeks ago from HD for about 200 dollars out the door and it works well, fires right up and is lightweight.

another week or so i'll put it away till next fall. see if it works well then

cj

Reply to
cj

I use a Homelite hand held to blow the leaves out of the many gardens and out away from the stone wall , house , garage , ect then I just mulch them into the lawn with my mulcing mower..Can't let them get to deep though...

Reply to
benick

My Echo died today after 25 years or so. So ive been looking and decided on a 160$ Echo PB250 at HD, the motor is better than my old unit and reviews put it on the rop. I think it cost me more 25 years ago. For 160 it will last you longer than your old one, maybe it will be the last one you buy.

Reply to
ransley

I bought a PB model, maybe even a 250 if they've been making that model that long, in 2000. I've done nothing to it except use synthetic oil at about 100:1 ratio and clean the air filter and it starts first or second pull all year long. I have 2 angle shaft Echo trimmers and one straight shaft. And an Echo backpack blower. That one I did have to run wire through the high speed jet to clean it out a year ago. But it was probably a fault of the fuel having dirt in it. If the same company makes their motors (starts with a K) they make a great motor and i would recommend them on my experience with my 5 Echo tools.

Reply to
A. Baum