Lazy Toilet Flush

I had a lazy, slow flush in my rental house. I had never had a problem in 9 years of living there. I paid R***Rooter $435 to fix it which they did not. I created such a stink that they sent the regional manager out and put a camera down the pipe. Of course the problem was the plumbing they said. It would need a new sewer pipe installed. Not a trivial task with the house sitting on a slab. Wait a minute I said. You are full of the same stuff clogging my pipes. So I looked elsewhere. I found the notorious green goo. The cleaning company that cleaned the house prior to the last tenant moving out put those green tidy bowl tablets in the toilet tanks. One look in the bottom of the tank told me what I needed to know. Being a scientist by training I knew that for a toilet to flush properly, the water had to move fast enough to generate the siphon effect to pull the water and waste up over the trap to clear the bowl. The thick viscous goo was making the water too viscous to do that. A garden hose and about 5 flushes solved the problem. I first hosed out the tank then filled and flushed the bowl and the problem went down the drain.

I wrote to R***ter Rooter and told them they were a bunch of theives. They have to know from exprerience of this problem especially in old houses, and it has to be a bigger problem for low volume toilets. If my experience is any example they are making millions at the expense of consumers by omission. They know, they just don't tell. Instead, they charge $100s or even thousands for unnecessary repairs. Beware anything you do to upset older plumbing. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As far as I know, appliances were designed to function with plain clear water, not with the additon of a thick green slimey goo.

Keith

Reply to
kpatton

Welcome to the real world. It has been my experience that the bigger the company and the more heavily they advertise, the more likely they are to rip you off. They have quotas to meet. Someone has to pay for those ads and that franchise fee.

Glad you were able to fix it yourself.

Lena

Reply to
Lena

Actually Ro**Rooter has a good reputation by me. They give you a price and don't leave until they got it fixed.

Reply to
Art

Of course they'll stay when they're going to be making thousands of dollars in unnessary work.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Roto rooter ripped me off too:(

Next plumber a friend of a friend oppened the drain in minutes, roto rooter wanted to tear up my concrete basement floor.

yeah those blue or green cartridges or plain old lime causes poor flushing.

fixed a friends toilet recently, a cup of muriatic acid down the dip tube and a cup in the bowl.... $4 money well spent. my friens hubby was amazed. he had no clue what to do:(

Reply to
hallerb

Roto rooter ripped me off too:(

Next plumber a friend of a friend oppened the drain in minutes, roto rooter wanted to tear up my concrete basement floor.

yeah those blue or green cartridges or plain old lime causes poor flushing.

fixed a friends toilet recently, a cup of muriatic acid down the dip tube and a cup in the bowl.... $4 money well spent. my friends hubby was amazed. he had no clue what to do:(

Reply to
hallerb

Roto rooter ripped me off too:(

Next plumber a friend of a friend oppened the drain in minutes, roto rooter wanted to tear up my concrete basement floor.

yeah those blue or green cartridges or plain old lime causes poor flushing.

fixed a friends toilet recently, a cup of muriatic acid down the dip tube and a cup in the bowl.... $4 money well spent. my friends hubby was amazed. he had no clue what to do:(

Reply to
hallerb

Think Geico Insurance. I "Compared," as Geico suggested. For auto insurance, $584/year more if I switched to Geico.

No thanks.

Reply to
HeyBub