Laying laminate flooring

"let the packages of flooring lie flat on the floor for at least 48 hours prior to installation, in the room in which the floor is to be installed."

Why is this? I just picked up the laminate today and was hoping to get started installing. I can't do this for another two days?

Thanks for any help!

-Josh

Reply to
joshbeall

The flooring must acclimate to the environment it will be installed in.

Reply to
badgolferman

It allows the laminate in the boxes to "become one" with the house environment (moisture levels and temperature). If you do this before giving the flooring a chance to do this, you could end up with gaps and/or bulges from the shrinking and swelling of the planks.

I suppose you could accelerate the process a day or so if you were to open the boxes and separate the planks out so they aren't all one large stack (maybe 5 or so to a stack). That'll help the temperature stabilize more quickly. However, doing anything but exactly what the instructions tell you may void any warranty from the manufacturer, so take my suggestion at your own risk.

Reply to
louie

Sure, you can get started, but the results may not be what you want or expect in a few months. It may expand and buckle or it may shrink and leave gaps. This depends on the temperature and humidity differences between your house and the storage of the laminate up to now. Best to let it stand.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks for the input. My only response: rats! I guess I will just to wait until this weekend. I ended up unexpectedly getting the day off of work due to snow and was hoping to get this done (or at least started).

Guess I'll just have to figure out something else to do! :-)

Reply to
joshbeall

Unless there is a huge difference in temp and humidity where it was stored/purchaced and your home then there should not be a problem. I bought

1000 square feet and could not install it all before the AZ summer hit. I brought in 10 boxes at a time and open them up. By the weekend they and I were ready.

Did you get the pad and vapor barrier cut all ready?

Following the directions never hurts.

Reply to
SQLit

I'm installing on a wood subfloor, and I've been told I don't need a vapor barried... ?

The flooring we're using already has the padding glued onto the bottom of the laminate, which is fairly convenient.

Reply to
joshbeall

One note/question on this same line: I don't actually have it in the same room. I have a small (1100 square foot) house that is only one level. I have the flooring out in the main part of the house (kitchen/living room), and we're putting it in the master bedroom.

I can't imagine that there will be much difference in humidity and temperature between the different parts of my small house... right? Does it really need to be in the same room?

-Josh

Reply to
joshbeall