Latex - Oil Paint Problem

Four years ago I replaced the floor on my un-enclosed cottage porch in Canada with 2x6 TG cedar which is coated with a flat latex solid floor stain which has worked well. (I know you will understand when I say that it was one of those projects where you were not certain what to do, but you got advice and thought about it, planned it, executed it in limited time and four years later the results are still better than you hoped for...Yes, one of those projects.) Anyhow, while I was away, my aging Mother had one of her visiting "helpful" friends (who is currently still alive) paint over parts of the stained deck with an gloss oil based floor paint. I want to restore the consistent stained look of the deck. I have sanded down (de-glossed only) a 2'x 2' square of the oil painted area and re-applied the same latex solid stain as a test over the winter. The porch is open from underneath and has high air flow. So, I know I have a problem which is probably not reversable given the incompatible nature of the coatings, but I would be obliged for any thoughts on corrective measures. Thanks! D. MacQueen

Reply to
dgmacq