Las Vegas Is Screwed -> The Water Situation Is As Bad As You Can Imagine

I was there the night Luxor opened. It had the river, but they soon eliminated that river and added more slot machines.

Right, I've gone to Vegas perhaps, 40 times. Never went to gamble. I went there for the sun, swimming, relaxation, and some craziness.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Didn't need much tax with nobody there.

Many places like Pittsburgh, began as manufacturing and mining centers. Most of that is gone. The city is still here, but a bit smaller.

You should see Vegas flood when it rains heavy, usually mid august.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I especially liked the arguments after Sandy about how two "100 year" storms happening so close together had to mean something. Silly me, I never knew that 100 year storms were scheduled and not random occurances.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

You could you could almost surf behind the old Imperial Palace when a deluge came about.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

It is far more than "a few years". The entire middle of the states where i rrigation is relied upon for agriculture is running out of water. The wate r table is dropping and that water is not being replenished, it is "fossil" water from centuries on centuries of storage.

They are deepening wells every year but don't seem to see the elephant in t he room, the water isn't going to last forever.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I can't comprehend why anyone would want to go to Las Vegas in the first place.

Never been there -- never will be...

Reply to
John Albert

Then your ignorance will continue. Go there and you'll learn why people go there. Hint - it's not all about gambling.

Reply to
Pete C.

\

I live in Milwaukee and this is the coldest summer I can remember.

At Noon it's a whopping 66 degrees.

Reply to
philo

I would hope so, It's been about 12 years since the last time I made it back (two days after they topped out the steel on the Wynn.. man it has been a long time..._)

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

If Cirque du Soleil offered me a job on the tech crew for one of the shows there I would strongly consider moving there at least part time.

Reply to
Pete C.

People have to understand that there are places on this Earth that simply can't sustain a large population. I find it hard to watch as people in some of the dirt poorest places on this Earth are raising large families.

I guess I find it equally hard to watch as unnaturally large populations in what are effectively deserts are sustained by food donations from western countries like Canada, USA, Britain and Australia. I know it's hard to watch as a famine decimates a population, but keeping a large population alive by sending food to those areas is only delaying the inevitable. Eventually the natural order has to prevail, and if the land those people live on can't sustain a large population, then eventually the population has to come down in those areas.

And, truth be told, Las Vegas and Phoenix, Arizona are just such examples of how importing food to areas that couldn't naturally sustain a large population can only work for so long. Eventually, that large population uses up the resources and reserves of the area, and then there's problems... water being the obvious one. As it stands now, Phoenix, Arizona gets it's water from an underground aquifer. Essentially, it's a huge underground oil reservoir filled with water instead of oil. But, Phoenix is already having to curb water useage because the aquifer is running out of water.

In all of these cases, eventually nature will prevail, and those areas of the Earth that cannot support a large population simply won't have a large population.

Reply to
nestork

I suppose I did buy some food occasionally. At the time, I was a OTR driver and the company had a terminal in Vegas, so I brought my accomodations with me, a Volvo White with a sleeper. Mostly what I left in Vegas was carpet, sometimes furniture.

If I was coming in from Georgia it was a pain in the butt since you got off the big road a Kingman and crossed the dam. The road down into the canyon was very interesting with a 53' trailer. I haven't been over the new bridge but it has to be an improvement.

Reply to
rbowman

I spent the winter in AZ when they had an exceptionally wet spell and people found out what a hundred year flood plain is. Hint: 'rio' isn't Spanish for 'dry, sandy place to drive your ATV'.

Reply to
rbowman

Figures. What I was really interested in was the virtual reality rides, I guess you'd call them. They were very sophisticated for the early '90s.

Then there was that landing beacon for Martians...

Except for a family vacation in the '60s, my 'going to Vegas' was hauling stuff in, usually carpet or furniture. For a while I'd migrate from Montana to Arizona for the winters on Hwy 93, but I always jumped off I15 on the east side of town to avoid the whole mess.

Reply to
rbowman

We made the mistake of holding a users conference there one year. Let's just say many of our clients are not particularly well funded local government agencies and a lot of travel requests got bounced back from the bean counters with a note saying "Conference? Vegas? Like hell!"

We sort of tried to hedge by saying "Clark County" but too many people can use google maps for that smokescreen to last long.

Reply to
rbowman

The trucking company had a terminal that was a real gem. After you backed into the dock, they'd send somebody out with the company pickup to ferry you to shore. I don't know if the drains in the parking lot were real or dummies that didn't go anyplace.

LA can be like that too. "It doesn't rain in southern California."

Reply to
rbowman

My favorite parking area !!!!

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Today's forecast...

...The Flash Flood Warning will expire at 600 PM MST/600 PM PDT/ for extreme south central Clark and extreme west central Mohave counties...

Heavy rain in the Laughlin-Bullhead City area has ended. Area washes and streams will continue to run high before gradually receding this evening.

Lat...Lon 3530 11473 3529 11447 3498 11449 3497 11458 3511 11475

338 PM PDT sun Jul 6 2014

...A Flash Flood Warning remains in effect until 615 PM PDT for west central Clark County...

At 332 PM PDT...National Weather Service Doppler radar continued to indicate a thunderstorm producing flash flooding over portions of Red Rock Canyon and mountain Spring Ranch area.

Locations impacted include...western Red Rock Canyon...Spring Mountain ranch...Blue Diamond

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

Flash flooding is expected in washes...low water crossings and on roads. To escape rising water...move to higher ground if hiking. Never try to cross a flooded Road or enter a flood channel while driving. Turn around...don't drown!

Report flooding to the Las Vegas National Weather Service via facebook or twitter.

Lat...Lon 3623 11557 3615 11542 3608 11539 3604 11540 3605 11550 3605 11557

3609 11559
Reply to
DerbyDad03

Not necessarily so. There are trigger mechanisms in place to allocate water if the water tables drop too far. There are moratoriums in place against increased irrigation acreage for some areas. This in in Nebraska. We have more irrigation than any other state. We just happen to be sitting on a prime spot over the Ogallala Aquifer. We also learned from other states' misfortunes. The primary regulators are the Natural Resources Districts with the state as a backup. Information from the USGS if you're interested.

Dean Hoffman

So what does that have to do with global warming? They are overdrawing the aquifer and that has nothing to do with the last decade or two of a 0.3 degree change in average global temperature.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher