Laminate counter repair

I chipped the edge strip on my coutertop and now need to replace it. I have enough left over from the original install to cut a new piece. Originally, the edge was glued on first, followed by the top so I'm wondering if the new edge strip will show a gap after gluing.

Reply to
Martik

It is going to be difficult to get the edge to fit up tight to the overhanging top because of the old adhesive. I would use solvent (I think you can buy solvent for thinning contact cement) and a plastic scrubber and a small wire brush to get the edge of the particle board as clean as humanly possible before attempting to re-glue the strip. Lots of ventilation necessary for this operation, that solvent is pretty nasty.

Reply to
donald girod

Use an old iron to heat the laminate and it should peel right off.

Reply to
Mastermech