Kitchen Sink Odor

Need advice.. the kitchen sink has started to have a bad odor the past couple of weeks, on the disposal side. I have tried the citrus rind thing.. grinding them with a few ice cubes. I have tried the baking soda and vinegar and then boiling water after it foams for a bit. These work for 1-2 days at most. Anyone else encountered this or have any other suggestions? tia, lucy

Reply to
lucy

It could be mold growth *inside* the drain piping. All of the piping and fittings which are *upstream* of the trap can give off odors. Frequently, soap crud and grease build up and provide a perfect place for molds to grow.

Sometimes pouring bleach down will help, but I've found that the long-term fix is to disassemble and clean out the pipe sections.

Just one possibility; there may be other causes.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

i had that problem. i waited till i changed the counter and sink. i also changed the rubber at the top of the disposal. it looks like when they get old mold and stuff grow easier inside underneath.

Reply to
jdk

You can clean the underneath side of that rubber splash shield with a bent baby bottle brush dipped in Clorox. That got rid of the odor for us. Let it stand for 5-10 minutes before flushing it down.

Reply to
Martin

I saturate mine maybe once a month or 2 with lysol disenfectent spray.

Reply to
Art

Thanks everyone.. it never occurred to me to clean the underside of the rubber flaps. duh.. that was the problem. Lots of black gunk (mold i guess) that had that same odor. Thanks again! lucy

Reply to
lucy