Kitchen range-switching from gas to electric 240v ?

Have you looked at any new gas cans in the last decade or so? They are sealed / unvented, and don't outgas.

Any gas cans in the last decade or so are fully sealed and aren't likely to leak.

Yes, I keep my fuel cans (gas and diesel) along with spare LP tanks in a little shelter with a tarp (silver side out to reflect sun) covering the open side.

Reply to
Pete C.

No, but I store more than 5 gal, and I can also siphon from one of my trucks (34 gal) if needed. Also on that 72 hr outage I had, the power was on ~2 miles away so I could readily get more gas if needed.

Reply to
Pete C.

I know more about them than you apparently.

Tell that to all the people who have been killed in residential gas explosions. Compare with all those who have not been killed in the non-existant residential oil or electrical explosions.

When you build the spreadsheet covering a full year of data for each house and take all costs into account, the truth doesn't match the hype.

Far too many people fail to do the analysis, and fall for the hype when they replace a 30 year old electric or oil heating system with a new gas one and suddenly see a huge savings. Of course you'll see a huge savings with 30 year newer equipment, and you'd see that same huge savings with a 30 year newer electric or oil system as well.

I recall Ed P. who posts here replaced his old oil system with a new state of the art oil system a year or two ago and did the analysis before and monitoring after and reported something like a 60% savings new vs. old.

Reply to
Pete C.

You missed the "heat and generator fuel". I also have a diesel generator. #2 heating oil and #2 diesel are the same thing, the only difference being the red dye and lack of transportation fuel taxes. It is 100% legal to run a generator off the untaxed fuel. Yes, the current heating oil is not ULSD, but that doesn't matter for an older diesel generator.

If you were without heat, you should have been draining the pipes. Not draining the pipes when you know they are likely to freeze is just lazy since draining them is not much work.

I've been reading the reports of residential gas explosions that show up pretty much monthly. Do a search on any news site or even google and you'll find a ton of them. As for oil leaks, it's called secondary containment, it is not a big deal, and again it wont blow up your house and kill you.

Reply to
Pete C.

Having worked as an electrician and having installed and maintained high voltage equipment I can only tell you to treat electrical power with respect. Treat it like a rattle snake and don't assume it's dead. I work on everything as though it were hot, I've been zapped a number of times and I've had tools vaporized but I've been lucky to not have been seriously injured. Don't trust unlocked safety switches, put your own lockout padlock on any dangerous higher voltage system you're working on. If it can't be locked, disconnect the wires, tape them up and leave a "I'll stomp you until you quit twitching!" note on the panel. Years ago, I heard of an electrician working on one of the industrial sites in my area who was working on the connections for a

4160 transformer, that's 4,160 volts primary. He finished hooking up the high voltage side and when he leaned back, he heard a crackling sound and his hair stood up. There was a dumbass walking down a line of safety switches on a wall turning each one on/off and looking around. The electrician climbed down, walked up to said dumbass and beat him half to death. No one tried to stop him and no one would think about testifying against him. A foreman called an ambulance to pickup the dumbass saying he had been injured in a fall, dumbass never came back.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Nobody ever got electrocuted by a gas line, either. You're an idiot.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Do you drive a car, or ride in them? Your chance of injury there is WAY higher. This fear is just unrealistic.

Reply to
Bob F

Good point. I'm sure the fatalities from electricity are way higher than from gas. Probably safer to remove all electric devices and wiring.

Reply to
Bob F

"During a typical year, home electrical problems account for 67,800 fires, 485 deaths, and $868 million in property losses. Home electrical wiring causes twice as many fires as electrical appliances."

Doug Miller

Well since electric heat was always near 100% efficent a new electric resistance furnace wouldnt likely save you much money.

Thats going electric resistance to electric resistance.....

electric resistance to ANYTHING else will likely save you money!

Reply to
hallerb

Yes, and the reason for grounding every conductor after testing is to ensure that it *will not go live* while you are working on it, even if another crew working down the road tries to power it up, or someone with an improperly connected home generator tries to power it up.

Good story, presumably from the days before lock-out tag-out. When I pulled my meter to replace my main panel, I did the full lock-out tag-out, even though I live alone in a single family house. You have to presume that some idiot will come by and try to fry you, even if the probability is extremely low.

Reply to
Pete C.

C."

Actually, they have. Gas lines have been know to go live when there are grounding failures and electrocute people, the same as has happened with water lines.

No, I recognize the very real hazard. Do a search yourself and see how common residential gas explosions are.

Reply to
Pete C.

So how about posting the matching figures for explosions, fires and CO poisoning from residential gas service.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yes, I do drive / ride in vehicles, as there is not a viable alternative as there is with residential nat. gas. I also always wear a seat belt. At home, for the LP cooktop of my range, I have a gas detector nearby. I find it rather sad that gas detectors are standard equipment in all RVs, yet few people have them at home.

It is very realistic, just search the news reports of all the residential gas explosions. If you have gas service at home you should at the very least have a gas detector in your home. Ideally the gas detector should be linked to a shutoff valve so it can stop a leak even if you are not home. RV gas detectors are available with shutoff valves now.

Reply to
Pete C.

My gas stovetop is covered with grates. I can slide a pan anywhere on it.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

And take the grates off to clean them. . . and use any pot you like on them. . . . and drop a pot on them without them shattering. . . and see when the burner is on. . . .

I like my gas stove, too.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I love mine! Then again, one thing I note is rarely do folks who really get into cooking, like glass tops. It could be the favored pan that just does the perfect crepes or anything else. I gather glasstops don't get as hot (may be better now). My new gas range has a sliding heat scale so there is no 'number' you are stuck with. Much more versatile.

I actually turned down a house on sight when we were buying over it's kitchen. The kitchen was *horrible* to a real cook. They'd 'tried to spiffy it'. Half the cabinets were clear glass faced so you saw inside (they had cute little arty displays of pretty gourmet jars sprinkled about). The countertop was granite (hate that stuff). The oven was one of those cute little in-wall things and might have been 20 inches wide. The range was glass. Badly needed pot storage was removed to provide a built in wine cooler, a trash compactor, and a bin that they said was for potatoes? (Dunno, flipped out and you'd never want to use it for trash as cleaning would be a nightmare). I just took one look at the realtor and told him I have 47 falling apart from heavy-use cook books and to move to the next one please. The owner was a little weirded out that I had wanted to see the kitchen first, then walked out.

hehehe case of SWMBO.

Reply to
cshenk

Kitchens are ALWAYS the deal breaker, at least for me. I can live with a lot, but not a non-foody kitchen.

C."

Myth Busters had an episode where they blew up a house with more than the recommended number of bug bombs. It seems that some people think more is better and the fumes from the foggers will ignite when coming in contact with stove and water heater pilot lights.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I heard the story back in the early 70's when OSHA was in its infancy and the old, old school solder and friction tape guys were still in great abundance in the work force. Most of the safety practices I incorporate into my projects would be considered time wasting sissy stuff by those guys. The crazy old electricians in the sawmills in central Alabama would lay #6 bare copper on the sawmill floor, cover the wires with a deep layer of sawdust and run the 3 phase 460 volt saw motors off of it. One brain damaged old coot would check for the presence of 460 volt power by swiping his fingertip across the bare wire to see if he got a tingle.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas