Kitchen range-switching from gas to electric 240v ?

No dealers. We've pretty much settled on Electrolux to match the dishwasher and 'fridge.

SWMBO demands stainless.

Reply to
krw

"Phil" wrote

Many people like the smooth tops, others hat them. Newer gas ranges have sealed burners for easier cleaning also.

Good idea.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Pete C." wrote>

In 44 years of home ownership, I've never been able to justify a generator. A few power outages lasted in the 1 to 3 hour range, only once did we have a

2 day outage after a hurricane. Putting out $500 to $1000 for a generator makes no sense to me. I do know some locations have days at a time every year and easily justify having one.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The OP has natural gas already installed.

Reply to
Bob F

I was replying to, "Ng is Half the price of electric for most of the US now". NG is not available in most of the US, at any price, now.

Reply to
krw

I asked about that here and the consensus was that it would be a lot more expensive, so since that part of my reply didn't really relate to the OP, I left it out.

Reply to
mm

We're about to install a dual fuel range with propane for the cooktop and our existing 240v for the electric oven. Personally, I find gas ovens to provide very uneven heating, but it's the best for burners, hence the dual fuel.

Newer stoves have all kinds of electronic controls have all kinds of electronics that fail and cost hundreds of dollars.

Reply to
Bob F

You must have a magic electric stove. Mine takes at least 2 minutes before the burner cools enough to not continue boiling over a pot.

As far as cost, that depends on your local rates. Some places pay 4 or more time as much for electricity as others. Gas for heating is probably half the cost of electric heating here, as determined by converting from electric to gas.

Reply to
Bob F

=3D=3D Most likely had a power surge and blew a fuse in the stove. Replace fuse (if blown) and hopefully everything will work. Had a power surge here once which did exactly as you described...sounded like a small explosion. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

I might believe you if you mean by area, but not if you mean by population. I'm not aware of any densely-populated areas (at least in the eastern half of US) that do not have NG available in the street. I'm in a semi-rural area several miles from city limits, no water or sewer, but every house has a gas meter. At least in this part of country, people only have to use bottle gas if they live WAY out in the boonies, where there were not enough houses per mile to make running the gas line profitable.

Reply to
aemeijers

terry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u7g2000vbq.googlegroups.com:

What is relatively low cost? Here in Jersey, I was charged on my April bill US$80 for 90 "total therms" of natural gas. And US$58 for 312 kWH of electicity usage (plus US$6 for using "green" electricity). Somewhere I read that you have to multiply gas therms by 30 to get kWh. That means that my gas usage of 90 therms is equivalent to 2700 kWh. That 2700 kWh would have cost about 2700x0.178=US$178 (I am just using the per kWh cost of electricity and distribution, not the service charge or the green charge). Therefore here in Jersey, natural gas is half the price of electricity. And I do believe that we get some of your cheap Canadian electricity down here. What is your cost of electricity?

Reply to
Han

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:hsmmnc$5of$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

If I were to go for an electric stove, it would be an induction stove, certainly not resistive heating.

Reply to
Han

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:JK2dnSAaNI_2cnPWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The only justification here in Bergen county NJ is if there is a need for life-sustaining equipment.

Reply to
Han

A thousand dollars to bring pipe to the other end of the house? Where do you live? I am in North Carolina and to run black pipe one end to the other is about 150 to 300 (depends a lot on the company used) and copper tubing about the same depending on the price of copper at the time.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

"h" wrote

Depends on the stove. Most have been improved and heat well compared to many years ago.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"mm" wrote

I never compared cost. I prefer gas and that was a priority over cost. I did just get filled and the cost was $185 over six months. In electricity, that would have translated to about $135 so yes, I'm paying a bit more. Worth it to us.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

When I lived in "upstate" NY (Poughkeepsie area), the only people with gas were within the actual city limits. Homes in the towns around and a good chunk of the city, used oil heat. There was very little gas in VT until recently and it's not available here in AL, within the city limits. At least none of the homes we looked at have gas heat. I really doubt that even half the population has natural gas available.

Reply to
krw

A couple friends of mine, the parents and child traded stoves. I ran a gas line for the parents, and electric for the kids. they were both happy. I have gas, and would never want an electric. My gas stove helps heat when the power is off.

As to install electric stove. It will need a larger wire, and a large double breaker (double 50 typically) and a socket to match the range that's coming in. As the OP is asking questions, the OP aparently isn't familiar with all these details. And should call in handyman or electrician.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Most modern stoves, the burners can be lit with a match. The oven needs electric to operate the ignitor, and gas valve.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon