Kitchen range-switching from gas to electric 240v ?

Most of the US doesn't have NG. LP can be more expensive than electricity, so saving money isn't always a sufficient reason to go with gas.

Reply to
krw

That's the way we're leaning, even though it'll cost an extra grand to bring the gas line around from the tank. Electric ovens also commonly have the self-cleaning feature. I don't believe gas gets hot enough.

Reply to
krw

Yes/no/maybe, it's a bit more complicated than that. It depends on if you are using gas for other things as well, if not the monthly service charges for the gas service eclipse any savings on cost/BTU.

LP is a better option if you aren't using gas for other appliances, particularly since if you are only running a stove/range with LP, you do not need a large tank or any sort of service contracts with an LP dealer. I run my dual fuel range (5 gas burners and 2 electric ovens) off of a single 20# LP tank and that tank lasts about 8-10 months between taking it to be filled. If I has an all LP range with LP ovens, I might upgrade to a 40# LP tank, but in either case there are no service charges involved.

Common misconception. Electric can get plenty hot and melt aluminum pans. Electric is also more efficient thermally in that the element is in direct contact with the pan and a greater percentage of the heat is transferred to the pan vs. rising up past the pan like a gas burner.

I haven't ever seen an electric stove/range with just low-med-high, all I have seen and used had plenty of adjustment points in between.

This faster response to setting changes is the primary advantage of gas for cooking. It's not a huge disadvantage for electric though since it just requires you to lift the pan off the burner you turned down for a few seconds while the element cools.

True, but probably not a consideration for most folks yet. Give it a few more years as the US goes the way of Zimbabwe and we're reduced to subsistence farming and it may be a consideration. Of course at that point neither gas nor electric will be available.

Reply to
Pete C.

Largely over hyped differences. I'm a pretty serious cook, and I have no problem cooking on gas or electric. All it takes is the knowledge of the differences between the two. Not really any different than adapting between regular and convection ovens.

Not really, electric generally has significantly better controls, and electric doesn't add moisture to the oven.

Yes, the existing electric is almost certainly not useable for an electric range.

The cost/effort to install a new circuit for an electric range can span from trivial in a case like a ranch with an unfinished basement and the kitchen in close proximity to a modern electrical panel with available breaker spaces, to extreme in the case of finished spaces and the electrical panel at the opposite end of the house from the kitchen.

While I think the cooking performance argument is over hyped, the fact is that the cost difference between gas and electric ranges of comparable quality is negligible, so the cost to install a new circuit will make a new electric range the more expensive option, though if you have ideal conditions the difference may be small. If you have less than ideal conditions for running a new circuit, you can step up a couple quality levels on a new gas range for what it will cost to install a new circuit and buy a basic electric range.

Agree.

Reply to
Pete C.

:

e quoted text -

My gas self cleaning oven burns the spills off GREAT at over 1100 degrees, its well insulated too. Just wipe the grey ash off when done:)

I have put gas grill and other parts in there too, for cleaning. Its very convenient:)

Reply to
hallerb

Nonsense. The controls are basically identical, just a temperature dial.

Many would consider that to be a disadvantage...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Oh, yes it does. You can get self-cleaning gas ovens too.

Reply to
Doug Miller

If you have gas in your house, and cooking is the only thing you're using it for, you're a fool. It's *far* cheaper to heat your house, make hot water, and dry your clothes with natural gas than with electricity.

If you aren't using gas for other appliances, a still better option is to get rid of the expensive-to-operate electric appliances and replace them with gas.

And you think gas can't??

Lucky thing, too, or else the cost difference would be even greater in favor of gas.

They still have discrete points, though, not the continuous variability of gas.

^^^^^^^ You misspelled "minutes".

Reply to
Doug Miller

Didn't know that. Thanks. The only one's I've seen that claim to, don't.

Reply to
krw

I've owned two. Both worked fine.

Reply to
Doug Miller

A generator solves that problem along with the defrosting freezer and stumbling around in the dark problems.

Reply to
Pete C.

HI again, original poster here. Thanks for all of the feedback. I had been thinking about switching to electric range so that I could get a smooth cooktop range. A lot of the foods we cook splatter grease over the top of the stove and it is a task to clean that up. A smooth surface would'a been easier to clean.

Anyway, money is tight, so calling in a electrician is out of the question. I'm going to surf over to the Repairclinic.com web site and see if I can figure out what is broken and whether or not it is a cost effective repair.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

My electric dryer is extremely inexpensive to operate, particularly since my washer is a front load with "escape velocity" spin dry. My electric heat pump is inexpensive to operate as well.

Don't fall for the propaganda from the Nat Gas monopolies, do the math yourself, being careful to compare like appliances, not comparing a new gas appliance to a 30 year old non gas one like the gas monopoly's propaganda often does.

See above. My electric appliances are not expensive to operate by any means.

I didn't say if couldn't. I corrected the false assertion that gas stove burners got "MUCH" hotter than their electric counterparts.

Except that the cost difference isn't in favor of gas. If you actually do the math you'll find there is little difference.

The dozen or so discrete points cover the range from low to high just fine. Also electric can go lower than gas can unless you have expensive intermittent gas burners.

No, I did not. I cooked extensively on electric stoves for about 30 years, so I'm well aware of their response times. Ten seconds is about the maximum you need to hold the pan off the burner, and indeed you don't even have to hole it entirely off, just lifting the handle to have the pan at a slight angle and not in direct contact with most of the burner is sufficient.

Reply to
Pete C.

Hardly. My electric oven has vastly better electronic controls and maintains tighter temperature control.

Many who don't know how to cook. It is very easy to add moisture in an electric oven for cooking tasks that will benefit from it. Conversely, it is impossible to eliminate the moisture in a gas oven for cooking tasks where it is a detriment.

Reply to
Pete C.

wrote >

They do make them in gas. Our old one was.

Bertazzoni is using electric for self cleaning though

Ours is black and they are painted in the same shop as Lamborghini cars.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Pete C." wrote in news:4beed29a$0$26646 $ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

But, but, you need tospend money to buy a generator and whatever switching is required so as not to kill the electric company's linemen. And then you have to keep purchasing gas for the generator and spend on annual maintenance. All that for a few hours (at most) of no power? Maybe when I need lifesaving medical equipment. Although, by that time I will have taken a little pill ...

Reply to
Han

Yes; and the electrical panel must have the space and electrical capacity (size) to supply the amount of current needed. There is alot more to it than just 'converting an outlet'!

Also have to agree with the comment that if a person has to ask, that they need someonen knowledgeable (an electrician etc.) to look over the situation professionally and advise.

Not familiar with them but an existing gas stove (in North America) is likely to to need a low amperage 120 volt supply, to operate, say an oven light and or igniters. Even at 14 years that is not that old; the used electric stove am using now is at least that old. There is no NG here only bottled/delivered propane, which is expensive

The problem (for somebody knowledgeable) may be a simple repair! With parts perhaps $25 to $100????? Could be a lot cheaper than new wiring, for $200 to perhaps a $1000 (just guesses!)., A new electric stove? Perhaps $600? Although good used electric stoves often be found for $100 to $150!

Reply to
terry

Judging by the next sentence, it doesn't seem so.

You're, ummmm, overly optimistic if you think that an electric burner will cool off enough in ten seconds to make a significant difference. Boil water in a teakettle on an electric range. As soon as the kettle begins to whistle, turn the burner off, remove the kettle, and pour yourself a cup of tea. Set the kettle back down on the same burner -- a burner that's OFF, remember -- and observe as the water comes to a boil again, and the kettle begins to whistle. One more reason to dislike electric ranges.

The response time of electric burners isn't anywhere *near* fast enough to avoid boilovers or scorched white sauces if you inadvertently set the heat a bit too high, or if your attention gets distracted.

Reply to
Doug Miller

They're still more expensive to operate than equivalent natural gas appliances.

Sounds like you've fallen for the propaganda from the electric utility monopolies...

Reply to
Doug Miller

te:

Just on the this subject of electricity versus gas, cooking, etc. There is a tendency for people to think 'coal' when speaking of electricity.

But not here. We live in a part of Canada that in more recent years has been involved in Atlantic deep water oil and gas production. And of course the oil and gas is a finite supply and will have a finite 'end of life'. Maybe around 2050 although nobody really knows!

But this area has for many years and is also developing additional, a large supply of hydro electrcity, from the existing Churchill Falls and the proposed Lower Churchill project in Labrador to be cabled through New England.

Consequently for the last 40 years or so this area has used electrcity as the primary fuel and it is also exported to other parts of Canada and the USA. New construction is 99% plus, all electric, with all its conveniences, safety and low maintenance.

So when considering electricity, especially in the north east of the NA continent, remember a plentiful and relatively low cost supply and low pollution, no more than a 1000 miles to the north, from a friendly country!

Reply to
terry