Need help repiring rust hole in Weber grill dome

Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole before I repaint.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce K.

If you have a hole in your grill, buy a new grill. If you are really stubborn, get a small section of sheet metal and some sheet metal screws and hack up a patch.

Or you could just leave it alone and call it a vent.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Get your angle grinder out & grind off the rust- back to where the metal isn't rusted. At this point you'll likely have a large ring of clean steel. Throw it out-- along with the rest of your old grill & go buy a new one.

For about $100 you can get a Char-griller from Lowes. Mine is 6 years old & I just ordered a new warming rack and charcoal rack for mine. They were $60 with shipping- but my cast iron grates and the barrel are still like new- so it was worth it to me to keep the seasoned grates and cake of flavor that is on the inside of my barrel.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

1.2 inch bolt and fender washers:)

have you EVER painted a grill before?

Grill paint for high temperatures in pricey and never lasts like the original factory finish:( Plus it STINKS the first few times you se grill:(

Reply to
hallerb

Yeah, if you have a broken window pane, buy a whole new window.

Reply to
Ron

If the frame is broken, yes.

Reply to
krw

That calls for a new house.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

WINDOW PANE.

Reply to
Ron

e:

Using Jon Danniken's logic.

Reply to
Ron

Do you know what an analogy is? ...or do you not know how to read?

Reply to
krw

Nobody else said it, so I will- how old is the grill? You said 'dome', so I am assuming this is the classic charcoal model. According to the website (

), there is a 10 year warranty against rust/burn-through. Is there still a data plate on yours? Before you start sanding, it may be worth taking some digital pics of data plate and the hole, and asking them. Sometimes, manufacturers even go beyond the warranty period as a goodwill gesture, since so few people ever collect- they just chuck it and buy a new one.

Reply to
aemeijers

With the heat of a cook kettle, most auto body type repairs won't stand the heat. I'm not sure what a propane torch has to do with the question.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

te:

Apparently you don't. The OP didn't say I have a 1/2" hole in my grill's lid and the hinges are broken.

Apparently you don't.

Get the last word in like you always have to.

Reply to
Ron

Once there is a hole in the grill, it's done.

IKWYABWAI?

In this case, since you made a point that needed answering, yes.

Reply to
krw

This is alt.home.repair. Not alt.home.waste.money.

And the grill will work fine with the hole.

Reply to
mm

I didn't write that. Quite the opposite in fact. Although there is at least one idiot in here that thinks that if a *Webber* grill has a

1/2" hole in the lid "it's done".
Reply to
Ron

I'm all for repairing things when feasible but one has to wonder it the lid is rusting out , just how solid is the rest of the grill ?? It would really suck to have burning charcoal falling onto the deck...Just say'in....

Reply to
benick

-snip-

I don't know if I'm the idiot, you're referring to-- but let me clarify *my* opinion. If a 1/2 in hole bothers the OP-- he can spend several hours repairing to get maybe one more season out of his grill.

Or he can buy a new one for under $100. [or a lightly used one on craigslist for 1/2 of that]

If *my* grill had a 1/2" hole- I'd live with it until I replaced the grill. I doubt anyone who is bothered by one can make it look good without spending more time than it is worth.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Not talking about you!

The OP hasn't given the age of the grill, so what makes you think he can "get maybe one more season" out of it? And as another poster suggested, it might be under warranty.

He has already been given a VERY easy solution to repairing the hole. A washer, bolt and nut. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that Weber would make a grill that would rust out. My grill that I bought from Sears is made from cast aluminum.

A Weber????

Reply to
Ron

Then again I just saw your post recommending that the OP buy a new grill.

So at least 3 people are now recommending that the OP buy a new grill just because it has a small hole in the lid.

Again, can you buy a Weber at Lowes for under $100.00? It's always easy to tell someone else to spend money, eh?

Reply to
Ron