Kenmore washer problem

I think the transmission is toast but would like some input from someone more knowledgable than me.

When my grandson tried to wash some sneakers in the washine machine, there was a very loud ratchet noise coming from it. Seems one of the sneakers wedged against the agitator and it couldn't move. Now when it should start to agitate, it makes a couple of weak swings and then the agitator and drum slowly starts to spin. It spins kind of slow but doesn't pump out any water so if the load is high the water spills out over the top. If I reach in I can hold the drum from spinning and then the agitator works normal. Any ideas before I spend a lot of $$ ? The timer has had some issues before, any possibility there? Thanks for any help.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

Does this have a belt? If not it is the new style that uses direct drive. There is a coupler with 4 rubber interposers. Look for some ground up chunks of plastic on the floor. If all of this is true, go get a coupler kit (less than $20) Sears will have it or any appliance parts place. Kenmore, whilrpool roper etc

Reply to
gfretwell

This is an older one with a belt drive.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

This is an older one with a belt drive.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

This is an older one with a belt drive.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

This one is older and has a belt drive.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

This one is older and has a belt drive.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

This one is older and has a belt drive.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

OK look at the mechanism that the wig wag operates (deal with the 2 solenoids that goes back and forth) Make sure it is moving the right plungers at the right time. That is how you shift the transmission. One of the wires may be broken too. Look for binds and such, just be careful, that is 120 volts on those solenoids. Check for frayed wires first, with the machine unplugged.

Reply to
gfretwell

I just replaced the wig wag a couple of months ago. Worked great until the sneakers. I'll take another look. Thanks.

Charles

Reply to
Charles