Help with Kenmore washing machine not spinning

I would love some help with my washing machine. It is a Kenmore portable, bought about 5 years ago. Not sure the model number. It was bougt in Canada from Sears, top-loading, small sized. Has three knobs: load size, load temp, and cycle selection (which does not turn)

Anyway, for a while now the spin cycle has been either a.) working OK, b.) spinning but stopping abruptly near the end of the cycle or c.) spinning and slowing to a halt naturally (no braking at all)

Like an idiot I ignored this and now it will not spin (although it will still agitate normally). Right now, when I select the drain and spin cycle (or at the end of a wash cycle), it just sits there and drains, but nothing spins. I wait for a reasonable time (5 minutes) to see if anything will happen but it just keeps draining.

I also tried the diagnostic test from the service manual (set knob here, unplug for 5 seconds, plug in, do this do that) to test the spin function. When I do this it drains, and then the agitator spins (fast, one direction, like the drum should).

My idea is that it seems like a clutch/brake problem (maybe?). But why doesn't it show the same symptoms when I have it on the drain/spin cycle? Any ideas?

Also, what does a repair like this entail for work, cost, etc.?

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Shorlin

Make sure the power off completely to the machine and have a look at the motor. On the rear, the bit away from the spindle that turns the drive belt, you should see two holders with black carbon looking things in them. Make sure they are touching against the centre spindle (armature) and they are clean and free from dirt and grease. If you can see a way of removing them, without force, then take them out and check the length. They should be at least an inch (25mm) in length to work properly.

Reply to
BigWallop

You posting in the wrong place really: UK washing machines dont work anything like that. Hopefully you can find a better audience and get some assistance.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton