Kenmore front load washer stop working,timer problem?

I have a Kenmore front load washer manufactured by Frigidare, only 3 years old. It stopped working yesterday, the water filles and drains OK, but no agitate or spin and the timer doesn't advance either. I suspect the timer is wrong, but is there any way to verify the timer is the culprit? Is it possible to repair the time DIY or I have to replace with a new one? Any comments are appriciated.

Reply to
ryz.zhang

turn the timer manually thru the cycles and see if the motor agitates and spins. it could be another problem too. there is a swithc under the door that must engage. it could be that. push in with a pencil and see if that turns it on. you can also pop off the cover over the timer and see if there is power getting to the timer motor. you'll need a test meter for that. i think some of the newer washers might have breakers or fuses inside. find a wiring diagram and look. after that, i dont have a clue....

Reply to
plumb

Hi, Yeah, that interlick switch is first thing to check. Good luck, Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I agree. For the record, the first thing I do when I get a wash machine is bypass that switch. I often like to see what's happening inside the machine. I've had far too many items eaten by wash machines, especially throw rugs. I dont need that dumb switch there to prevent me from sticking my arm in the agitator. If I'm stupid enough to do that, I deserve to get my arm injured or removed. Just another gadget to separate the user from the process and let the machine take control. Personally, I like to be in control of the machine. Same reason I wont use Windows XP and stick with Win98. Sometimes I wish I had one of those old wringer washers. That way I am almost entirely in control, and I can decide what the machine is going to do, not the other way around. But I guess that may be going too far.

Reply to
plumb

Hi,

advance either. I suspect the

Should be a tech sheet in an envelope in the bottom behind the access panal....need a volt/ohm meter to use.

No model# posted, but on the 417.####### Frigidaire built Kenmores we see more motor control board issues than timer issues...but you never know!

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Thank you for the reply.

Open the back panal, find the tech sheet, there is a special instruction on how to check if the motor will not run. Follow the instruction 1-5, no problem, but I'm a little confused with step 6. Step 6 states "remove 6 pin plug from the speed control unit, measure the resistance between pin 1 and 2, 2 and 3, and 3 and 1. If the meter reads other than 3 Meg ohms +- 10%, replace the speed control board." Shall I measure those resistance with electrical power on or power off? Anybody has the same experience?

Thank you in advance.

ryz

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

doesn't advance either. I suspect the

Reply to
ryz.zhang

Off. NEVER measure resistance with power on.

doesn't advance either. I suspect the

mm