Kenmore Elite moisture control board is bad

I just took apart my 4.5 year old dry that was completely dead and I found the control board to have a blown transistor and a burnt resistor. Has anyone seen this before? What is the best way to repair this? Can I by a 5 cent transistor and 1 cent resistor and replace them ;-) or do I have to buy a new board. Does anyone know the transistor part numbers on this board?

Regards, dajoe

Reply to
dajoe

Replace the transistor with a tube. These transistor things are just a fad.

Reply to
FDR

Thanks for the insight FDR. I think that the same wil be true of the gas powered buggy soon. We'll all have to go back to horses ;-)

But all kinding aside... I bought a new board from Sears and was in the process of installing it and connecting all the terminals that I disconnected when I discovered the root cause of my problem. A tan wire was cut and slightly blackened at the cut because it was touching the drum of the dryer. It must have shorted to ground. I believe this to be a manufacturing flaw an a potential cause for a recall. Does anyone have any advise on how to get Sears to pay this bill and possibly investigate the problem on a broader scale.

dajoe

Reply to
dajoe

Do a web search and report it to the government agency that does recalls. Take a picture if you can and save the burnt wire as proof. I would send a copy of the report that you send to the government to Sears who will send it to whirlpool. Don't hold your breath.

Reply to
Art