Kenmore Elite DW door seal question?

Hopefully we have some appliance repair persons reading this?

On my above referenced dishwasher, which has been maintained/repaired by Sears for 5+ years (contract finally has run out), it works just fine. But, some days, after finishing a load and opening the door, the push-in rubber door seal pulls out.

This seal simply pushes into a channel in the tub and the door presses against it when closed/locked.

This occurs once or twice a week and is quite a pia. I thought it might be sticking to the door so I keep that edge of the door clean of any residue. And both the door and tub are stainless steel.

The rubber molding is similar in appearance to some door weather seals in that it has a ribbed tongue that pushes into the channel on the tub. It goes in easily and appears to be evenly inserted up across and down. It is still quite supple. But again, it pulls out about

50% of the time after a wash cycle.

Any ideas as to how to overcome this? And purchasing a new DW is out of the question.

TIA all.

Reply to
bobmct

Buy some 3M weatherstrip adhesive at any autobody supply store. Also buy one of the 3M solvent type cleaners to prep the rubber and channel for bonding. Follow adhesive directions and glue the seal in place and your troubles should be over. Chances are the gasketing has shrunk a bit in use and is looser than when new. If the gasketing is a silicone type, then 3M adhesives will not adhere. In that case some GE silicone I (the old original) will work quite well. A third option would be to hammer the channel down to keep the gasket in. It might wind up looking ugly or leave metal exposed which could rust, so be careful there.

Joe

Reply to
Joe