Kenmore Dryer Problem-Won't Start

My sister's Kenmore Dryer MN 110.76902690 makes a buzzing noise (much like an electric buzzer) when I press the start button.

There is a decal on the door that says the dryer will make a noise (unspecified) if you try to start it and the lint trap is full. The lint trap isn't full, but, looking into the cavity it goes in, there is a lot of lint that has escaped past the lint trap over the years. I tried to get it out and could only get some of it.

The dryer won't start, noise is there.

Is it likely that even with the trap clean, there is enough lint in the ductway that the sensor is showing a full filter? Can I clean this part of the duct easily?

The noise is a buzzing, and I wouldn't consider it a stuck motor noise, but could this be it?

Any other suggestions, things to check?

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bishop

Bad (open) thermal cutout on the drum or the exhaust?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Possible, I don't know enough. But, would those explain the "buzzer" I hear when I push start? Does Kenmore (Whirlpool) have that kind of "warning"?

I tried calling a troubleshooting Kenmore line, but they want you to have a warranty to talk to you. Also, they want you to buy a part and try it to see if that fixes it, and if not, buy another part.

Tomorrow, I'll try to see if I can tell where the buzzer is coming from. If it's a signal buzzer that will tell me one thing, if it's coming from a part, that's something else.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Charles Bishop

Sorry about the lack of help from Kenmore. They respond well to large doses of cash money, I'd guess.

What you describe as a buzzer is probably a solenoid. My guess is a cut out, and the power isn't going to the motor.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Have to wonder if the motor is running and the drum not turning due to a broken belt.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If the dryer is supposed to "make a noise" when it loses air floe due to lint buildup, and you were only able to get some of it out of the internal ductwork, I suggest that you take the back and top off and clean out all of the ductwork.

I've done it numerous times over the year to various models of dryers. It's basically just manual labor and whether it solves the current problem or not, It should be done anyway.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Does it also say it won't run? If not the decal, what does the owners manual say. If you can't find t he manual for this one, look for a Whirlpool model from the same period with roughly the same lint stuff. Does the dryer run? I have a kenmore dryer, 36 years old, and you can still dry clothes while the dryer whistle whistles. It's just a reminder and it probably does a real bad job of collecting lint once it's all covered over.

I'm pretty sure that's as important as the lint on the filter.

Wire coat hanger bent into a hook? Vacuum cleaner with the upholstery attaachment (the flat one, thought that's not very long compared to my Kenmore lint filter. Still, put the thing in the hole where the lint filter comes out of and wrap towells or something around it to fill the rest of the openilng, so it will have to suck from somewhere else Take off the covers etc. until you can go directly to the lint and remove it that way.

Did you run it with the lint fitter full, or not all the way in?

Oh, it wont' start.

Reply to
Micky

repairclinic.com has some really good troubleshooting techniques and videos. I recently used their videos to narrow down a problem with my dryer to the exact component in less than a 1/2 hour. All it took was a meter and some basic tools.

While they may not have a video specifically for your model, the ones they have can often be used as reference.

Here is the link to your dryer. Good luck!

DerbyDad03

Thanks everyone, I'm about to try again today. Unfortunately, the rain we need is here this week and will (for various reasons) make working on the unit a bit more difficult. I should be able to narrow down the cause or at least the area.

Reply to
Charles Bishop