Kenmore dryer door cracks open and shuts off

Does anyone have any experience with the following scenario on a Kenmore dryer:

The door on this dryer has two metal cables on either side that go inside the cabinet and attach to two springs that provide some tension to close the door. But at this time the door is not held closed tight enough and the door sensor switch opens and the dryer shuts off. The springs and cables were both recently replaced (a 6 year old sat on the door when it was open) and everything was fine for a couple of weeks but now the above described problem is ocurring. I'm thinking about sligthly beding the sensor switch but I'm open to anyone who has previous experience with this configuration.

Thanks for your ideas.

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

if it wasn't for the hazard to the kids you can jump the switch wires and dry your clothes. sounds like you need a new switch from:

buffalobill

Hi,

The cables and springs normally don't hold the door closed, they help to support the door when it is opened. The door catch may be worn enough to allow the door to open up during operation.

The door/door hinges may be warped a bit.

No model# posted, but this catch may help....

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

John,

On my Kenmore, and yours may be different, there is a plastic door catch next to the door switch. Look to see if this is broken because your door catch is not working.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Good point, when the door is closed the only force the cables exert is in the upward direction so they really can't assist keeping the door closed.

It is an older dryer.

The youngster is small for her age but she certainly could have made an "adjustment" to the mechanism.

Thank you Jeff and Bill for the pointer to the web page.

I'll look at the latches next time I'm at this woman's house and see if replacing them might help.

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

I think the solution is simple. Have the 6-year old hold the door shut while the dryer is running.

It's only fair.

mm