Kenmore Dishwasher Troubleshooting assistance

The problem I am having is that the dishwasher will not spray the water around the inside. It will fill (although it will not fill enough to cover the filiment anymore), it will drain, it will heat up but it will not throw the water around inside and therefore will not complete a cycle. I have taken off the water inlet valve and tested continuity and even took it to a shop and they confirmed it worked. I have taken the entire motor and pump assembly apart and cleaned everything as I thought the crud in there was making it not work. Disgusting job by the way.... After doing all of that...the problem is the same. When i get to the point in which the cycle should start throwing water around inside, I get a noise like like an electrical load being put on something. Its like if you put a load on the motor and were strong enough to hold it from turning....After I turned the sucker back off, I felt the motor and it was almost hot enough to burn my hand.....hmmm...what do you think??????? How can I test it? If it is the motor, it sounds like it is getting electricity to it but maybe it is functionally broken....i dont know....

Please....help....

Reply to
grahamhil

When I bought my current home, our older model Kenmore dishwasher worked during the home inspection but did not work 30 days later when we moved in. We had the same symptoms you described. I searched the internet and found a posting from a retired service tech that said these motors were very susceptable to a lime or calcium type build up around the motor shaft (especialy if you live in an area with high levels of these elements in your water system, which mine does). He suggested that you might be able to remove the front lower cover (with the power off of course), and reach around to the front of the motor and give the blade/fan/impeller a turn or two to loosen it up. He said that this was only a temporary fix as it would be a recurring problem and eventually ruin the motor. I was able to free my motor that way about three times in 4 months. Eventually my wife turned on the dishwasher and walked away without realizing that it was not running and the motor burned up. I suspect that yours has done the same. I told you all of the other info because after you replace the motor or dishwasher you may want to occasionly check for this problem.

Best of luck,

Rod

Reply to
Rod