KABOOB!! A Gas Explosion Close To Home

There is a reason there isn't a separate stat for explosions - they are the norm with gas leaks that find ignition sources.

Reply to
Pete C.

Pete C.

In Birmingham about 10 years ago a steam pipe from the steam plant operated by Alabama Power ruptured and boiled a couple of people in their parked car. The plant dates back to 1895 and Birmingham isn't that old as most large cities go but there are very old pipes and wires running under our streets that can fail at any time. Basically, every source of energy we use is dangerous in some way or another but are we to crawl in bed and pull the covers over our heads? o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It's significant enough for the NFPA to be interested, and it's a hazard that has reasonable alternatives. At the very least anyone with gas appliances/heat should have one or more gas detectors in their house. They are only $60 or so, and indeed all RVs have had gas detectors for years, but somehow fixed homes haven't caught up.

Reply to
Pete C.

I've provided cites to the statistics, and further anyone can search news sites to see how prevalent they are.

Reply to
Pete C.

Most folks have killfiled Killer Loon the nymshifting freak who is using part of my nym. It's one of my fanboys who followed me here from another group in an attempt to stir up trouble. I don't killfile anyone, I just laugh at them as they get more and more desperate to draw attention to themselves. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You *must* be a lefty.

Reply to
krw

Proving, once again, that you're a liar. Thanks.

Reply to
krw

You're lying again. You provided no such cites.

Reply to
krw

What does being left handed have to do with it? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'm cooking with gas and wouldn't want it any other way. We also have gas heat and a gas water heater. There are several electric heaters around for spot heating. The cost of electric resistance heat is very expensive with gas heat being the least expensive. Many years ago we had the things called "Total Electric Homes" that were touted as the future of the modern living with electrical power being so cheap it wouldn't even be metered. It was assumed back then that there would be nuclear power plants everywhere. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Dang! I didn't know this would turn into the thread from hell but at least it's got folks discussing the safety of natural gas in the home. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That NFPA site says the annual average for deaths due to combined natural and LP gas accidents is 77, with an additional 287 injuries. Contrast that with the Electrical Safety Foundation (just happened to be the first credible site returned in a quick google search) which states that home electrical distribution and lighting system fires are the

4th leading cause of home fires, causing about 50,900 each year, averaging 490 deaths and 1,440 injuries.

So maybe we really should ban electricity from homes since it is so much more dangerous than gas...

Reply to
Larry W

Your fan boi is too dumb to use a real newsreader... wow. They hardly ever show that level of dumb.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Only 77 deaths? That's nothing!

Falling is the leading cause of home injury deaths; it claims nearly 6,000 lives per year. Maybe we should all wear air bag suits...sort of like the Michelin man.

Rich Phallus

Settle down guys. Here is a table of most common causes of death due to injury in the United States from the year 2000. I deeply apologize for not getting something more current... actually I didn't feel like looking any more.

The table is derived from the National Safety Council's data on accidents. There are enough numbers here for one of you to claim victory. Maybe.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

You didn't just come to that conclusion did you?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

WTF? What table?

Reply to
Fred

Figured it all out by myself, I did!

Reply to
krw

Hold yer horses there, Fred. There's a logical explanation.

Umm, I fergot to add the link.

I hope this helps.

Gordon Shumway