Jump starter for lawnmower?

Buy a good lead acid battery spec'd to fit from a high volume retailer and it will NOT be more than 3 months old. It should last 5 or more years (the one on my Yamaha blower has gone through 5 seasons)
That's $10 a yearf for dependable starting - and it's not dead yet -- -
On 4/13/2018 6:42 PM, mike wrote:

I bought a battery for my 23hp walk-behind last week. It's 275 CCA, and sells for $30 at Walmart.
The mower requires I buy a new one every 3-5 years, depending on if I bring it inside during winter and connect to my Battery Tender. I've done this for many many years.
Don't take this wrong, but if you cannot pull-start a mower, or afford a battery every few years... you probably shouldn't own a mower. Even a self-propelled requires effort. Certainly more than starting one usually requires.
Good luck.
On Saturday, April 14, 2018 at 7:09:54 AM UTC-4, 83LowRider wrote:

That's a good point. A properly working lawn mower should start with one or two easy pulls. Even my 5hp snowblower, which has electric start isn't har d to pull start. I opted for electric start there because it has to start i n freezing temps, is used infrequently, is a larger engine, etc.
Best answer, go for an electric lawnmower. Everyone I know who ones one lo ves it. Quiet, no gas, low maintenance, always starts, does a good job. N ot suitable for a huge lawn but fine for most.
Okay answer, buy a battery that doesn't die as quickly. The chemistry on m odern batteries means they lose half their life every time you run one down . Find an old style one - cop cars use them because with all the extra ele ctric draw they go through batteries quick. They're expensive but at your age you might only have to buy one.
TimR posted for all of us...

No they don't. Emergency vehicles have power management systems on them along with extra batteries under the rear seats of the Explorers.
--
Tekkie

On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 4:58:08 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:

e loves it. Quiet, no gas, low maintenance, always starts, does a good job . Not suitable for a huge lawn but fine for most.

on modern batteries means they lose half their life every time you run one down. Find an old style one - cop cars use them because with all the extra electric draw they go through batteries quick. They're expensive but at y our age you might only have to buy one.

Read this: http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?idS5 5

The AGM is NOT the old style battery. It is one of the newer style and is DEFINITELY superior. I have AGM batteries in both of my vehicles - neither of which ius a cruiser or taxi cab.

Also, that article by the Hendon Press is a bunch of BS in SO MANY ways. A LOT of inaccuracies as far as battery technology is concerned. A lot of "half truths" or "fake news"
TimR posted for all of us...

one loves it. Quiet, no gas, low maintenance, always starts, does a good j ob. Not suitable for a huge lawn but fine for most.

y on modern batteries means they lose half their life every time you run on e down. Find an old style one - cop cars use them because with all the ext ra electric draw they go through batteries quick. They're expensive but at your age you might only have to buy one.

355
Published in 2015 and looks like press release.
--
Tekkie

On Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 2:46:22 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:

S55

True.
I don't know how valid it is. It seems plausible, as mythbusters would say . We do know that modern car batteries don't last as long and are very sen sitive to being run dead. We do know that modern police cars have huge ele ctrical demands. So it kind of makes sense that it could be true. I could spend a lot of time researching it, or you could. I can't say I care enou gh to bother though.

It might have been almost accurate in about 1985

And a poorly researched and written one.
On Sat 14 Apr 2018 04:09:38a, 83LowRider told us...

Well said!

On 4/13/2018 5:42 PM, mike wrote:

A jump pack will work just fine if the mower is easy starting. I'd cut the charging circuit since the lithium batteries in them are charged differently than the original mower battery, and use the plug in charger for the jump pack though. The jump packs are also handy for other things.. usually a bright light with them and you can run a cell phone for days on one. Now go forth and mow. BTW I saw a fat ass, and I mean we're talking OBESE yesterday mowing a yard with a high dollar zero turn riding mower that wouldn't take 20 minutes with a walk behind mower. His wife is as big as he is, but he's a nice guy.
On 4/14/18 7:29 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:

What is it? Something like a third of the U.S. population is overweight? And yet shopping carts are full of soda pop and snacks of all sorts. People park as close as possible to the store's front doors. They won't walk a block but drive instead. There was a fitness center in Omaha, NE that bragged about their front door parking in their radio ads. That always hit me as funny.
On 04/14/2018 07:46 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[snip]

One thing I found funny here, is a fitness center sharing a building with a donut shop.
On Saturday, April 14, 2018 at 1:10:55 PM UTC-4, Sam E wrote:

t their front

Well doh. Cops have to stay fit too you know.
On 4/14/2018 8:46 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

The most exercise the demofats get is when they hobble from their cars to the obesecycle parking area in the store.