Is this quote I got for finishing basement reasonable?

I know this is probably a difficult question to answer. But let me try to give some information to make it easier to answer.

  1. We live in the suburb of Boston.
  2. We're thinking of having ~650 sq feet basement area finished.
  3. Drywall
  4. Drop ceiling.
  5. Lamante floor
  6. Some stair work on the railing
  7. No additional zone for heating
  8. No plumbing work

The lowest quote we got is around $40/sq. Is this reasonable?

Thanks,

-Mike

Reply to
hmmhmm

Your question is like "Is $20,000 a reasonable price for a car?". Who knows, there are too many factors to calculate. The real way to find out is to get at least 3 quotations with detailed specifications of the type and quality of the work, materials and finishes involved. I notice you did not mention any electrical, surely you will need some outlets and lights at minimum.

Reply to
EXT

That translates to $26,000. Depending on the quality of the flooring and a gazillion factors that none of us can see, it may be a bargain, it may be a rip off. You state drywall, but are there studs and insulation already or is that included? Does it include primer and a coat of paint? Any issues with the drop ceiling where you have to get around a lot of piping?

I can finish your basement for half that. I can also finish it for twice that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

As a very rough guideline, we figure $40 sf. including a lower end three piece bath.

That also includes electrical to code, eight or ten pot lights, good quality berber, painted throughout.

But the areas we do are larger than your 650. Does your 650 include the stairwelll or is it already finished. If not, add 110 s.f..

26 thousand would be on the high side with no plumbing. Of course, we're not in Boston, and we can't see your basement.

Get three quotes ... choose the contractor you like and check him out carefully.

We usually figure the guy with the low bid is the guy who forgot something.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

The price is good for the Berkshires but low for the Boston area. You don't have any figures for required emergency egress, building permits and inspections. Are you providing insurance ?

Bill

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

its an excellent price, just remember not to bother with any paperwork or permits, they just add needless to the cost. don't forget 15% for tips and gratuities. references are useless too, i just had a guy give donald trump as a reference for some roofing he did, now how you gonna call and confirm that one?

drug testing should also be part of the basement finishing if you hire edwin, king of poland. i could just see it, him and 30 of his bowling buddies showing up to change the lightbulb, lol.

Reply to
Mike Holmes

| >1. We live in the suburb of Boston. | >2. We're thinking of having ~650 sq feet basement area finished. | >3. Drywall | >4. Drop ceiling. | >5. Lamante floor | >6. Some stair work on the railing | >7. No additional zone for heating | >8. No plumbing work | >

| >The lowest quote we got is around $40/sq. Is this reasonable? | >

| >Thanks, | >

| >-Mike | | As a very rough guideline, we figure $40 sf. including a lower end | three piece bath. | | That also includes electrical to code, eight or ten pot lights, good | quality berber, painted throughout. | | But the areas we do are larger than your 650. Does your 650 include | the stairwelll or is it already finished. If not, add 110 s.f.. | | 26 thousand would be on the high side with no plumbing. Of course, | we're not in Boston, and we can't see your basement. | | Get three quotes ... choose the contractor you like and check him out | carefully. | | We usually figure the guy with the low bid is the guy who forgot | something. | | Ken

I always say "the lowest bidder = inexperience"

$40 sq.ft. is a great price in Boston as long as it is NOT in the "back bay area" otherwise it would be $60 sq. ft. just to pay for all those parking tickets you will get on a daily basis.

typically a bathroom will cost 15k to 35k alone, depending on personal preference..

Reply to
3G

Thanks for the responses.

The electrical work are just basic light> I know this is probably a difficult question to answer. But let me try

Reply to
hmmhmm