Is this baby snake coiled up outside a gopher snake or a rattler?

Danny D

I understand. I'm no expert in snake relocation; but, the good news is that I can learn, and, that I have learned.

First off, from the pictures you referenced, it can be an extremely painful and expensive ($700K) experience getting bitten in the hand (as that young boy's story showed that you pointed me to).

Also, you seemed to know right away that it was a rattler, although at first, I wasn't at all sure (especially since I had caught a gopher snake of similar colors in essentially the same spot last year).

Thirdly, I had none of the right equipment for handling snakes (other than a lot of secure-topped plastic buckets and MIG-welding gloves).

And certainly I don't have the experience of the snake catcher who called me yesterday, and who gave me advice for relocating the next one.

In addition, I had not learned the relocation advice which you had pointed me to (Dr. David Steen) with whom I've had multiple conversations over the past few days in terms of improving the chances of a successful long-term relocation.

There are more lessons learned; which is the beauty, after all, of learning from you more experienced guys.

As a side note, the snake-be-gone guy only charges $75 to remove a snake; and he tries to relocate them within 500 yards in similar terrain; and for $150 he does a snake inspection tour of the property.

My only wonder is how a snake sits and waits for the guy to arrive because it has to take him time to get there - and - in my experience, the snake isn't going to sit there exposed that whole time.

Reply to
Danny D

You're an idiot.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Why?

Reply to
Danny D

arning from you more experienced guys

Reply to
DD_BobK

No offense, Danny. The first thing I thought of when you said you were going to turn it loose was your grandchildren - or any other people, dogs, etc., who happen to walk upon that snake or its offspring wherever you drop it off. A neighbor's son got bite by a rattlesnake and nearly died.

I'm the last one to kill anything. I typically grab spiders and toss the outside rather than swat them. Live and let live is good, but this one is not worth the risk.

Reply to
Guv Bob

I find western black widow spiders outside all the time. If you asked me to, I could snap a picture at will, in daylight, of one, as they are *that* numerous out here.

And, their venom is reportedly 15x stronger than a rattlesnakes!

Still ...

If I killed every one I found, I wouldn't, statistically, make a dent in their numbers in my yard alone.

Birds, lizards, other spiders, even wasp predation has a greater impact than anything my puny efforts could accomplish.

So, I don't kill them when I see them. I consider them part of the "family".

But, I do warn the grandkids to stay away from those particular family members. There's always one in every family ...

Reply to
Danny D

That's why I was clearing out and chipping the brush within 100 feet of the house. It's all part of the fire safe plan (which you have in your area also).

And, it's why I keep bolt cutters handy (to cut the chains on the fire access roads), and fire extinguishers in handy locations.

And, why we all have wharf hydrants, by code, on our properties, since we're all on well water.

And, why the town drops off those blue reflector things for us to put in the driveway or roadway for the fire department to locate our hydrants.

And, why the kids and grandkids know to assemble at the pool if/when there is a fire.

What else would you suggest?

Reply to
Danny D

That wouldn't be a bad idea because we're in the highest fire hazard zone they make.

I did toy with the idea of buying a pump for spraying the house from the pool, but then I realized it would be about a thousand bucks in toto, and would likely not be used because if the fire gets that close, I'm outta' here anyway.

Plus, the fire department is only about 25 miles away, yet they still made us pay that extra fire tax which isn't called a tax. It's called a fee. So that way they could get around the laws that make voting in California on tax raises harder. With a fee, it was easy because they told everyone they wouldn't be paying that "fee" so everyone voted since they want everyone else to pay their fee. I'm still burning up over it.

Reply to
Danny D

Good intentions, but kids forget quickly or don't believe they will get bit. People are always stepping on snakes that are hard to see against the leaves, etc. I was walking thru the woods with a friend in front and he stepped right over a copperhead without noticing. He could have just as easily stepped on it and gotten bit.

Reply to
Guv Bob

it is a rattler you can tell by its eyes,tail, and its pattern

Reply to
pennyemalley

its a rattler

Reply to
pennyemalley

You shouldn't hurt a rattlesnake either! They are a protected species

Reply to
danidd24

Heh heh ... I recently ran into this baby rattler down in my ravine.

I counted about 7 rattles.

I wonder if it's the same one, perhaps grown up a bit, that I had ungracefully relocated a while back?

Reply to
Danny D.

The rattler didn't seem perturbed one bit by my presence. Maybe he remembers?

Reply to
Danny D.

As Oren says, at least in California, where even every tree is a protected species if it's greater than a foot in diameter at chest level, Rattlesnakes aren't protected.

I see a rattler every week or so.

Reply to
Danny D.