Is there any "market" for old electronics, even for free?

I thought Craigslist was a dating site?

To carry it to the destination?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Crystal is leaded, too. Vitrification is one of the best ways to sequester bad stuff. It would be good for radioactive waste but somewhat expensive.

Reply to
krw

No one said the law was sane. Yes, I do know more than politicians. You? Perhaps not.

Reply to
krw

Since when were politicians experts at anything but getting reelected?

There is more lead in your drinking water from the tap than would leach out of a CRT if your house has copper pipe installed before the Reagan administration or whenever the post 1986 plumbing code was adopted in your jurisdiction. Ask those folks in Flint about that. (or DC)

Reply to
gfretwell

I missed the start of this, what is the device exactly? If its something tactile and modern stuff is not then if it works then blind charities might be a good place to start. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Well if its a tv of the analogue type then retro gamers with old consoles or computers are your target, if its modems, sadly not much call for them if they have a psu though a lot of people might like an analogue psu to replace the crappy switch mode ones that they supply now that make good radio jammers. I was thinking about radios when I talked about tactile, or indeed washing machines or other devices with switches. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

<Snip>

I've still got an old Microvitec Cub monitor, dedicated for the Sinclair QL in my loft (although it can be adjusted to work with CGA, EGA or rough equivalents).

Reply to
Steve Walker

It is in the UK. We even got fibre to the home at 18% a year ago. Pretty much everyone has fibre to the cabinet, which is usually 40-80Mbit.

What is that in English? What I meant was Wifi is shared is it not? Between all the cameras.

Bollocks, what am I not using that would benefit me?

Most of what you have are gimmics.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

There?s a recycling place that I use quite frequently. Here?s what their website says.

THE DOS AND DON'TS We like to say, "if it has a plug or a power source, we can recycle it." But let's get specific.

Here are the lists of what we can -- and can't -- take.

WE DO ACCEPT

- Audio/Video Devices CD/DVD/VHS/Blu-Ray Players, MP3 Players, iPods, Projectors, Stereos, Video Game Consoles, Speakers, Receivers, Recorders, Converter Boxes, Amplifiers, Equalizers

- Batteries Li-Ion, laptop batteries, lead acid batteries, or batteries from Uninterrupted Power Supplies (UPS)

- Communication Devices Cell Phones, Smartphones, PDAs, Telephones, Pagers, Answering Machines

- Computer Devices PCs/Laptops/Tablets/Notebooks etc.

- Hardware All parts that are, or once were, part of electronic devices (i.e. circuit boards, hard drives, memory, processors, power supplies, optical drives, etc.)

- Microwaves

- Monitors LCD, CRT, Security, etc.

- Networking Devices Servers, Routers, Switches, Hubs, Arrays

- Peripherals All items used in the function of other electronic devices (ie. keyboards, mice, speakers, pointing devices, etc.)

- Power Supplies Uninterrupted Power Supplies (UPS), Surge Protectors

- Printing Devices Printers, Fax Machines, Scanners, Copiers, Duplicators, Plotters, Typewriters

- Telecommunication Devices

- Televisions LCD, CRT, Plasma, etc.

- Test & Measurement Devices Meters, Oscilloscopes, Logic Analyzers, Bit Error Rate Testers, Signal Generators, Spectrum Analyzers, Digital Multimeters, DC Power Supplies, Frequency Counters & Timers, Probes & Accessories, Video Testing Devices

- Wire/Cabling All cables, wires, and power cords used in the function of electronic devices

WE DO NOT ACCEPT

- Batteries Alkaline, Nickel Cadmium, D-cell, button-cell batteries, etc.

- Electronic Media CDs, DVDs, VHS, etc.

- Gas-Powered Equipment

- Home Appliances Washers/Driers, Dishwashers, Refrigerators, Air Conditioners, Dehumidifiers, Stoves, Vacuum Cleaners, Lamps, Toaster Ovens, etc.

- Household Hazardous Waste Paint, Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Medication (Pills, Liquids, etc.)

- Lawn Equipment

- Light bulbs/Lamps Fluorescent, Incandescent, HID, Flood, PL, Biax, etc.

- Liquids Any and all liquids

Reply to
DerbyDad03

People into classic gaming do. Harder to come by ones like Sony PVM and BVM models can demand a fair bit of money. Not all CRTs are equal but targeting gamers into that is an easy way to turn one into some amount of $

Reply to
Bradley Bowman

So you admit I'm correct.

No it isn't. If you have an item you're clearing out and are thinking of flogging it on Ebay, and it weighs a lot, you can only make the value minus the postage.

You've never tried it here. There aren't enough people using Facebook, and it's f****ng disorganised. On Gumtree, things are in categories, you can search for things, you can set up email alerts for when someone sells something you're looking for.

It's a huge sample wen you look at what everyone is selling on Gumtree in the whole country, compared to FB.

It's "less". Do you have a separate word for more dependant on countability?

But the CRTs have mostly died, so there's a lot less available.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Look up the BT stats. That's where I got the numbers from.

We name it more recognisably.

Mine will do 54 (long way to the cabinet over copper wire) but I pay for 38.

I dunno about new homes here, but I've seen a few people have it retro fitted. I bet when their next door neighbour asks for it, BT has to do f*ck all to join it on, but charge them the same.

Your WiFi access point will transmit at a certain speed, that's shared among all devices. Unless you have two access points on different channels, which is difficult as then neighbours start interfering.

My Satnav does that.

Still waiting for something useful. Your Alexa isn't for a start you lazy bugger.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

In pain from physical exertion or from missing your favourite device?

It's amazing how much shitty WiFi stuff there is, things that can't go through one plasterboard wall!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

How detailed are you looking for? Do you know what switches do?

I just use the bins that are collected from my house. If things ain't recycled at my kerb, they go in the landfill bin. Routers would be though, we get a box for anything electrical, but it's not big enough for CRTs.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I remember those at school on BBC computers. Great for giving static shocks to people.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

especially if its foil backed...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Did you miss the word "retro"?

Not sure what he meant there. Adding "don't" might help. If they have a PSU it can be used for something else.

Switch mode crappy? WTF? Way more stable output.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why do people use that indoors? You keep the heat inside the house, not in one room.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

How many inches is the screen?

If it won't go on freecycle, then it's of no use, dump it, or take it apart and make use of the bits.

I cleared out several cupboards of old shit at my work, a lot made me cash on Ebay as it was classed as antique. My predecessor had just hoarded it to avoid paying the recycling fee. Loads of Mac Classics, 15" (ish) video disk players, etc.

Yeah, I dunno who Wendy is. Probably a manufacturer's name.

On the inside of a house?!

I'm talking about the ones that come free with the ISP.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

When you have rockwool in your walls, it makes a good vapour barrier.

Its especially useful for bathrooms and kitchens

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher