Is there a hinge like this?

Give this link a go. They're not exactly like I had in mind but perhaps they'll do the job.

John

Reply to
John

Ah, thanks. I looked at those at HD. The door wing is so long the screws would penetrate the mirror, and the frame wing is set up for 3/8'' overlay, and I've got 3/4'' overlay on my cabinet.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Hardly a difference in structural applications, but semantics I suppose......................Not really important.

Squirrell,...............Why MDF??????????? Like building a car from Foil..........Aluminum or tin, not important.........just in case that comes up later.

You seem to put a lot of pride in workmanship and quality on the Bus. Why not your home too?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

I did a Bad Thing? An in-wall medicine cabinet with two dadoed shelves, mounted flush, fastened between studs, with a hardboard back urethane-glued and stapled on, the gaps between the cabinet and wall filled and sanded, and the whole thing, including the wall, finished with paint seems like a perfect application for 3/4'' x 6'' MDF. It's dimensionally stable, inexpensive in pre-cut and pre-primered "shelf" chunks, and pretty sturdy. I should-a used something else?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

As you're discovering, the front hinge-mounting areas could have been hardwood to avoid the present discussion...poplar, soft maple would work well. If you could stand it, another way to solve you current dilemma might be to mount a solid strip on the inside to hold the hinge...slightly smaller opening, of course...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Oh, well, as I've mentioned more than once in this thread, I boo-booed by not investigating hinges first before designing the cabinet. The usage of MDF in and of itself would not have been a bad choice if I had been bright enough to design around a real hinge. I, um, "assumed" that the hinge that I sketched (go to my OP) was real. If it had been then MDF would-a worked just peachy. My bad.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

(...something disparaging my manly home handyman skills.)

Etc., etc.

Muadib -- great to run into you, Chris Perdue, and Speedy Jim over in this NG!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

...I recall, I was just offering another out for the present dilemma..

How are you going to finish? Paint, I'm assuming?

One thing about MDF, etc., in baths I don't like is their propensity to absorb water (both spilled and humidity) and swell...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I appreciate your help! Between you, and the other helpful guys I /will/ get myself out of this little corner I've nearly painted myself into.

It's up, man. The cabinet is in the wall, painted along with the wall. Blends in real well, considering this was my first open-wall surgery and plastering job. My toiletries are sitting on the shelf -- razor, deoderant, one of them styptic pencils to quench the flow of blood when I cut myself shaving WITHOUT A MIRROR because I am waiting for the 14mm brad point bit coming from Lee Valley so I can try it on a sample MDF edge before plunging two holes in the cabinet edge to take the barrel hinges to mount the cabinet door that has the mirror that goes into the house that Rocky built . . .

Oh. (In Johnny Carson voice): I did not know that. /That's/ a good reason why I should not have used MDF for this application.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" wrote: ..

At least MDF is less susceptible than alternatives you could have chosen...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Just giving you a hard time, Mike. I haven't built any cabinets in my bathroom, so i don;t truely have room to talk.

I thought it interesting to see you here also.

You'll find John Willis here too. as on *the other* group.....

Sounds to me like you're making a go of it in a difficult situation too. Good luck.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

There's always some good news. Um-- what might have been a really bad choice?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

hey hey...i'm here...hadn't been watching this thread, but i clicked on it for some reason...hehe...to squirrelman, don't be surprised *where* you may run into Jim, because he is awesome....he seems well versed in pretty much everything....Maudib, John W, Jim and a few others from the "other" group have been on this one for ages....i do come here alot but don't have enough time to read all the threads....but i do cabinets......

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

This bathroom has been a total trip. The previous owner had the walls papered in a desperately repulsive floral print. The light above the sink was about 10'' off-center. Why? There was carpeting on the floor. Who puts carpeting on a floor around a toilet that men pee into? In addition, the wallpaper had been hung upside-down. Before stripping the wallpaper, a large "floating" mirror needed to be removed first. After taping it packing tape to protect myself from shrapnel I pounded on it with a big rubber mallet. The thing broke loose in one piece. I caught it and lowered it to the floor. It had been affixed to the wall with blobs of construction adhesive, which pulled big divots out of the plaster. And there was a gaping hole in the wall, under the light fixture, where a medicine cabinet had once been. Now I had a medicine cabinet opening and a light fixture in the wall, 10'' off-center above the sink. The sink was mounted on a vanity with a tiled top, attached to tile on the wall. There is no moving this sink without busting up the tile. The plumbing under the sink showed that there would have originally been an older sink, directly under the cabinet and light fixture. So I've been tearing out studs and moving light fixtures and building a new cabinet in the wall. Pulling up the carpeting revealed vinyl flooring in a /lovely/ 70's "earth colors" pattern. The room's a mess right now, but it's going back together bit-by-bit.