Pool Line Freeze Protection

Our pool has a design flaw (or maybe not, I've never paid much attention to how other pools are done)..

Where the main drain line exits the ground and goes into the pump area, there is a 4' or 6' length of PVC pipe that is exposed, and can't be drained without draining the entire pool. The question is: How to freeze protect this piece of pipe? Thermostat regulated heat tape and some wrap on insulation? Build a box around it with a lightbulb inside? Maybe one of those 1,000 watt ceramic heaters with a thermostat?

I'm in Atlanta, and our winters usually have a few days (or nights) of sub-20 weather, with a rare plunge below 10, and the very rare plunge below

  1. Suggestions appreciated.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Right you are... The pump is 5' lower than the full level on the pool, and 3

1/2 feet lower than the pool's winter level (below the skimmer)...

Like you, my gut tells me that the heat tape is the best option.

Thanks,

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Just curious. Why do you have a winter level that is below the skimmer? I have an inground pool (10 yrs now) and never drain the water in the winter below the skimmer. Same level in the winter as in the summer. 20's, 10's and single digit temps are normal in the winter here. I use a "Gizmo" in the skimmer. Its plastic. When the water freezes it "crushes" the "Gizmo" instead of expanding out the walls of the skimmer. When the temps warm, the "Gizmo" goes back to its normal shape. No sense in dumping a 1000 gallons of water or more when you dont need to. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

If the pump is running it won't freeze-up until maybe sub-10. I had almost the entire surface frozen, except near the skimmer, at 10-12F and the water still flowed freely. The geothermal heating of the pool water running underground probably helps out as well.

Reply to
Martik

Move further South......

Reply to
Red Neckerson

In my installation, I need to drain the water level below the skimmers to blow out the pipes that pull water out of the skimmer. If I don't do that, it leaves me with another exposed 5' of pipe that needs freeze protection.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

You should still be able to install the "Gizmo" and blow out the skimmer line. The "Gizmo" has an opening at the top to do that. You outta check into it if you havent seen one. But, then again, maybe you have a particular installation that it wont work? :-) The "Gizmo" (Suction line blow out extension) can be seen here:

Bubba

Interesting. Like I say, Ive had a inground for 10 yrs. Never lowered the water level. Ice hard enough in the winter you can walk on top of the pool. I have a vinyl liner, deep well diving area and a plastic skimmer faceplate. NEVER once replaced anything that cracked. I guess that blows your theory to hell and back. Although heat tape can also be a solution, Id just as soon not use it if its not necessary. Nope, I dont run a pump all winter either. The pump comes inside in the winter. Its obvious you dont have a pool nor know what you are talking about. Nice suggestion. Wanna buy a bridge? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Reply to
RBM

Id accept your appology but you immediately turn into a smartass again. How on earth is it that you figure leaving water at the regular line is WRONG? Hell, at that rate, any suction fitting face plate, return fitting faceplate, drain fitting faceplate, grate and underwater light need to be removed. Hell, for that matter, you need to drain the entire pool because the freezing water will blow out the sides of the pool! You're wrong sweetheart. Face it. And I'll still bet that you dont own an inground pool. Too bad for you. Actually, if one thinks (like I did) and has the proper elevation (like I do) one can cap all the pool lines, go to the pool pump and pull the plugs. Out drains all the pool lines with no blowing, flushing or adding of anti-freeze. Oh hell, I guess thats the wrong way too and Im just luck. Sorry but you're a din-wit Bubba

Reply to
Bubba