Is Kohler out to get a few extra bucks out of us?

The task was to replace a 33x22" cast iron, double-bowl, kitchen sink with a same-sized one made of stainless steel. I naively thought I just drop the replacement into the same hole. Turns out the hole was grossly undersized for the new sink. The new hole had to be enlarged to 32.5 x

21.5" - yes, only 1/4" margin on all four sizes - to accommodate u-channels for the retaining clips and the larger bowls. Doing the sides wasn't so bad (used jig saw, belt sander, and rotary file at the corners), but the back and front were impossible because of extra supports in those spots.

The countertop is 24" deep, Formica on 3/4" particle board. The supplied retaining clips are long enough to grasp the bottom of a 3/4" counter, so they are okay for the sides. At the back, there is one extra support making the thickness there 1.5". At the front, from top to bottom the thickness is 2.25". Here's how it looks:

Top photo is looking toward front; bottom, looking toward backsplash.

Had to call Kohler to order extra long screws. They had the 2.5" size that I needed. (Even longer ones are available.) I think there are 12 to a package for $10.00, plus $14.95 for expedited shipping (2 - 3 days). The gal gave me a break, charging $5.00 for the clips, making the total $19.95. Still, I'm without a sink probably to Monday.

What really pisses me off is that Kohler supplied with the sink clips that only work on 3/4" counter. Certainly my house isn't the only one on the planet with extra support at the front over the double-doors, and at the back. I would cost them virtually nothing extra to supply 2.5" with every SS dropin sink. The extra lengths on the sides wouldn't cause any problems. Shame on greedy Kohler.

Here's what they look like at the 1.5" length. Note the outrageous price.

Just venting here.

R1

Reply to
Rebel1

Many years ago I worked with my step-father remodeling kitchens. From my experience, you are the rarity that needs the extra long clips. Why should they make the rest of us pay for them if we don't need them? Why make more stuff for the landfill?

Did you check with the local plumbing supply to see if they had them? I understand your frustration, but I don't think it makes the manufacturer greedy because you are the exception.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Especially since they only charged $5 for the 12 screws. The other $15 was for expedited shipping, a good portion of which presumably went to the shippper. Even at the originally quoted price of $10 for

12 screws, it seems consistent with similar prices. I just bought 10 gutter screws at HD, they were $11. The alternatives would be to ship every possible length of screw with every sink or to sell the sink without screws and you have to buy the ones you need. Neither sounds too practical. And IDT you can just ship the longest ones, because they probably are too long, hit the counter, etc.

Like you say, the local plumbing supply probably had them and probably for less total cost.

Reply to
trader_4