Is it likely that the black spider in our house is a black widow?

Hello, my wife knocked a black spider off of her and I can't find any mention online of any other spiders that are black and native to NJ.

The spider is in our house. It was in a box filled with stuff that I had minutes earlier taken out of the garage.

I saw it run away. She only saw the top of it and the red hourglass as you know is on its underbelly.

It isn't jet black and it isn't shiny, I don't think.

Thank you.

Reply to
Chris

I'm in NJ and there are plenty of black spiders. Never saw a black widow here. Was she even bitten by it?

Reply to
trader_4

No worry then, the kitten or the small dogs will eat that spider in short order. No need to look for it, it's probably gone already.

I've been in NJ 40 years, never seen one, don't know anybody bitten. I spend a lot of time outside and doing things like working in wood piles.

Spiders are mostly our friends. Very creepy looking though.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Chris snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote

Its clearly just another damned immigrant. Hit it with the flyspray, stupid.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Where did you move FROM? Did you bring sixty boxes from .. Tucson? :)

Reply to
Sam Hill

I killed a black widow spider about twenty minutes ago. It was black with the red hour glass. I killed it at around 4 AM. It was in a web on the outside of my bathtub in a corner. I hope it was the same one.

Reply to
rigida7147