Is camera down tub drain an option?

Watch it! Rubber duckies are toxic now.

Reply to
krw

Nope. Tekkie is right.

Reply to
krw

the floor in bad shape, so I replaced all that too. Silicone caulk is nas ty stuff to do a neat job with, if you're not used to it.

tairs ceiling.

Figures one trumptard is as dumb as the other. How the hell does filling a tub with water before caulking compress the caulk? It doesn't. You can't compress caulk that is liquid and uncured. Filling the tub helps open any gaps between the wall and the tub so that the new caulk can get into the gap, instead of the gap opening later when you fill the tub and breaking open at the gap. Capiche? And where were you two geniuses when I was the first poster that correctly suggested the water problem could be from missing or bad caulking? Amazing. Late to the party and still dumb as bricks.

Reply to
trader_4

Amazing. To a leftist, *EVERYTHING* is political. More proof that you're an idiot, Traitor.

Of course it doesn't. *DRAINING* the water after the caulk has set causes the caulk to compress, dumbass! When you refill the tub, the caulk isn't stretched, rather goes back to the state where it was when it was applied.

That you're talking through your ass, as usual. Sure, got that loud and clear!

I know you're a lefty, thus mentally challenged, but do try to learn

*SOMETHING* in your life.

Where was I? I hadn't found the thread because it was covered by a couple of thousand political rants. No wonder there is nothing in this forum other than political drivel. It's members *like* it that way! Over to you, dumbass lefty traitor.

Reply to
krw

at the floor in bad shape, so I replaced all that too. Silicone caulk is nasty stuff to do a neat job with, if you're not used to it.

downstairs.

wnstairs ceiling.

e next job.

You're the one who started calling me a "lefty" and yet you have the nerve to accuse me of seeing everything as political?

ROFL

But that isn't what your butt buddy posted:

"He should fill the tub with water prior to caulking. That's so caulk compr esses."

And then I pointed out how it correctly works. Wise up.

When you refill the tub, the

No shit Sherlock. Which is what I described. Filling the tub opens the gap so the caulk goes in.

In other words, neither of you two geniuses had the right answer. I did and I helped the OP. And here you are again, calling me a lefty while complaining that I bring politics into everything. You're an excellent example of a real trumptard. So ignorant that you don't even know what it is that you don't know.

Reply to
trader_4

Another leak, or the same one?

I was reasonably sure I had the right diagnosis. I could see the drain was her was crumbled. When I ran the shower without it, it poured through the ceiling immediately. I replaced and caulked the washer. I also caulked th e tub to wall and tub to floor interfaces just for completeness. I ran the shower for an extended period, cold water only, no leaks.

Yesterday I showered about 7:00 AM, no water downstairs. I did notice a dr ip from the hot water faucet into the tub. (this is a two faucet shower, a s are my other two.) I checked again before leaving the house about 3:00 PM , still dry. 9:00 PM, ceiling is dripping and a large area is wet. It's d ifferent though, the drip is much slower and spread over a 3 foot square, i nstead of the original fast drip over about a 6 inch square.

Here's what I'm thinking. My diagnosis of a drain leak may have been corre ct but incomplete - there's no reason not to have two simultaneous problems . Maybe the packing on the faucet bonnet is old, and has let water down be hind the wall?

Here's my plan tonight: Block the drain, run 10 gallons of cold into a buc ket, watch the ceiling for an hour. Repeat with the hot. That should show up a faucet or pipe leak. Then do the opposite, fill the tub with buckets from the sink, run down the drain and see what happens.

Thoughts?

Reply to
TimR

[...]

Your last test method is different than running the shower, so the leak might not show. First thing I'd consider is what shape the ceiling is in? If the drywall needs to be replaced, then it has to be cut out anyway and you can then inspect. If not, then I guess it's more testing. Certainly if it's leaking around the packing in the valve it could be making it's way into the wall, then down.

Reply to
trader_4

trader_4 posted for all of us...

the floor in bad shape, so I replaced all that too. Silicone caulk is nast y stuff to do a neat job with, if you're not used to it.

airs ceiling.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I send too fast. The caulk will compress when th e water is drained. Caulk does not like to be stretched. Thanks for the heads up.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Okay, it's August, and this was a March/April project, but I realize I neve r finished the story. I do find it irritating when somebody starts a threa d and then disappears.

Yes, it was fixed, and yes, I cut the hole in the ceiling so I could see ex actly where the leak was and be sure it was fixed. It was the strainer/foo tjoint connection. A new drain washer and lots of silicone sealer solved i t. I had to do it a couple of times to get it just right. I hope it lasts because that silicone is a pain in the rear to clean off.

I was a bit surprised when I cut the hole. There is almost a foot clearanc e between the drywall and the wood above it.

and no, I never bought a camera. I still might though.

Reply to
TimR