Interior Water based Enamel ?

I was in a Sherwin Williams paint store today and one employee was telling how the water based enamel outlasts the oil based enamel for the interior of homes? Since I never used this type paint, does anyone know if it is better than oil based ?

She did tell me it costs about $10 more per gallon than the oil based. And in my opinion probably only worth using on new wood, not wood already painted with oil based paint because of the prep work.

Reply to
observer

Generally speaking (and the key word is generally), latex is superior to oil in almost every case these days. Yes, there are very specific applications where oil might be a better choice...but damn few anymore.

Also generally speaking, you can use latex over oil...but not the reverse. Some manufacturers suggest primer between the oil and the latex.

Reply to
curmudgeon

??

In so far as I can tell, oil based paints are still vastly superior. I certainly wouldn't pay more for a latex paint. Havins said that, what type of paint I use varies as per the application.

Reply to
scott21230