Insulation

I want to add R-30 insulation to my attic. So far I used only JM fiberglass insulation from HD or Lowes. Since now adding attic insulation will cost me approximately $1000 at least I want to shop a little bit to see if I can save something. Are there any other brands that manufacture fiberglass insulation and are worth considering? Are HD or Lowes the best place to buy fiberglass insulation? JM insulation is formaldehyde-free? How important is it? Do other manufacturers use formaldehyde in their fiberglass batts?

Reply to
Sasha

I don't think many fiberglass manufacturers use formaldehyde any more, so being "formaldehyde free" is important but not that unusual nowadays. HD and Lowes are easy to find and have convenient hours, so that's one reason to shop there. You might check your local yellow pages for building supply centers and see if they carry anything, a few phone calls can save you a lot of money sometimes. HD and Lowes actually ARE competitive in pricing on some things, not so much on others so it usually pays to check up on these things once in a while.

Have you considered blowing in insulation instead of batts? It's actually quite easy for the DIY'er. Most building supply centers (usually HD and Lowes included) will allow the free use of the blower if a large enough quantity of insulation is purchased. If you decide to do this, check into the pros and cons of celulose insulation. I used some from Coccoon last year and it did wonders for my house's heat efficiency.

Reply to
louie

I've never heard of formaldehyde being used in fiberglass batts. In the attic, it wouldn't matter anyway.

You may want to call a professional to get a price. Many people have been able to get it done for the same price as buying and doing it themselves. The pro buys much larger quantities that you will so he gets better prices.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That is what I am finding out. I can get my attic blown in by a pro for ~$100 more than I can do it myself. One job I will let someone else do! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

You're kidding? right? fiberglass insulation is essentially all the same except for the backing and the insulation you add should have no backing.

And, most importantly, saying that a brand of fiberglass insulation is formaldehyde free is as silly as saying a Delicious apples are peanut butter free. Just sales BS that is meaningless. There is no reason that formaldehyde would be in fiberglass. Hey, it is just glass strands.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon