Insulating around window air condition for winter...

I would like to insulate around my window air condition for winter.

I have already taken off the inside cover and covered the face of the AC unit itself with 2 layers of 3mil black plastic (from contractor bag). I also have inserted foam weatherstripping to seal between the upper and lower window sashes.

However the louvers on the sides that fill the gaps between the AC unit and the window jamb seem to be a much bigger source of air leakage.

What is the best way to seal those in a cost-effective, simple, and non-obtrusive fashion?

I could use caulking chord to seal the actual air gaps, but that still would leave the uninsulated louvers as a sourec of heat transfer.

Any product or homebrew suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

Remove air conditioner. Close window. Easiest and cheapest way to save money and comfort.....

-paul

Reply to
paul.flansburg

Paul's idea is good. But if you want to leave it in, have you thought about spray foam that is sold in cans? It expands to fill any void. It sticks to all surfaces, so it would be more or less perminent. I have also used plastic wrap to cover the surface that I want to protect, then foamed, with very good results.

-------- KaCe

Reply to
glassartist

Cheapest, yes. Easiest, not for everyone. I leave one of my ACs in because it is more than I can safely handle myself. I'm glad you can do it, but don't think that everyone can.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

get a helper and do it right remove unit.

besides the unit will last longer if out of the weather for the wnter.

so you gain twice lower utilitry bill in winter less likely to have to buy a new one next spring

Reply to
hallerb

Agreed - it is heavy and I would have to drag it down from the 3rd floor back to the basement. Also, I have the cage screwed in plus when I remove it, I would have to clean it too probably, etc... PITA.

Reply to
blueman

I agree that is is best to remove it but for sure can be a difficult job. Hire or rent whatever tools or helpers you need to get the job done. This also gives the opportunity to service the unit which I have learned needs to be done each year. I use a forklift to remove mine.

Reply to
Lawrence