insulate doorknob

I feel like this posting can be useless. All I want to know is if someone has ever insulated a door knob. That is it. Not if you like knitting knobs, not if you are confused if this is a really post or not, not your personal opinions on gmail, not anything but what is in the original post. If the original post is not clear then ask for clarification or don't post at all. Ron and Don had the only good posts and I would like to thank them both very much for making this particular thread worth while. I think the rest of you seriously need to get a life!

Reply to
carlbernardi

[...]

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

I'm sorry. We didn't know you just wanted an answer without any justification, explanation, possible alternatives, conversation, or camaraderie.

The answer is: No one has ever insulated a doorknob.

Reply to
SteveBell

You're wrong! Useless post again. Ron has insulted a door knob (third post in this thread) and Don suggested an alternative. Those are intelligent answers. Are answers as such to much to ask for?????

Reply to
carlbernardi

And to answer your other question upstream about Google Groups (which is NOT the same thing as Gmail), this is a good example of why people look down on it. Your most recent post came through 5 separate times. The Google Groups interface (which I have used in a pinch when my real Usenet access was not available) is notorious for acting like a message did NOT post, so people hit 'send' multiple times. A large percentage of people on Google Groups do not even know Usenet exists- they think they are posting on a Google owned and run website.

Not a flame, so don't take it personally. But if you want to spend a lot of time on here, strongly recommend you look into some other method of news access. A lot of people block all posts from Google outright, due to the number of spammers and simply clueless people that post from there. I haven't been that irritated yet, but a quick look in my kill file confirms most of the people in there are from Google.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4929b802$0$19141$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

And on a fair balance, I've seen some good people in this and other NGs that use gmail.

Reply to
Red Green

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news:50f8812b-a27a-4a13-a802- snipped-for-privacy@y18g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

Original post misleading. Took it as airflow coming through.

Concerned about cold to touch:

1) They used to make rubber caps for them long ago. Probably were sold to help prevent wall damage but really don't know.

2) Put a sock over it.

3) Wrap it with duct tape.

Concerned about the miniscule heat transfer. Go to craft store. Get a styrofoam ball. Cut it in half. Hollow each half for half the handle. Put over knob and glue/tape/whatever halves of ball.

In your OP you said "Wondering what other's opinions are." This directly answers that. You may note like them because they are ugly or something but they are options.

So, today I ran some new wiring, worked on refinishing cabinets, painted a kitchen, sized some more aspects of 2 countertops I will be replacing and made mailbox post from a 12' 4x4 for neighbor because his drunken buddy backed over it.

I did that and all you have to do is worry about a few calories of heat coming through your shitty knobs. And you say I'm the one who needs to get a life?

No, I'm not going to post this 82 times to your 82 duplicate posts.

Reply to
Red Green

You need to get a life!

Reply to
carlbernardi

You need to get a life!

Reply to
carlbernardi

help prevent wall damage but really don't know.

Weren't those for kid proofing? IOW, you had the squeeze the rubber cover in order the turn the doorknob. If a child tried to turn the knob the cover would just spin around the knob.

Reply to
Ron

On Sun 23 Nov 2008 08:20:09p, Ron told us...

I think they were mainly to prevent wall damage. Depending on the doorknob (many earlier knobs were large), they fit tightly enough that no squeezing was necessary. I remember having those in one of the first homes my parents had.

They do now have covers or a sort of ring that does prevent a child from turning the knob.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Ron wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d32g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

I don't know Ron. Just remember them as a kid. They were on the knobs that weren't glass. Might have been to keep us from eating the lead paint chipping off the knobs...but that never stopped us.

Reply to
Red Green

to help prevent wall damage but really don't know.

Yep.....

Ron

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y18g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

5th time this msg posted. Like a damn Max Headroom transcript.
Reply to
Red Green

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news:d9ff8ea9- snipped-for-privacy@k41g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

Here we go again with the repeat posting. Another episode of Max Headroom.

Reply to
Red Green

On Sun 23 Nov 2008 08:26:43p, Ron told us...

Well, yes, the modern version in your example is specifically for childproofing, but it bears no resemblance to those made back in the 1950s, which is what came to mind. I looked for an example but couldn't find any. They were form fitting, and fit rather tightly in most cases. Kept the knob from marking the wall.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

There are patents for thermal door knob insulators but you can make your own easily with foam rubber pipe insulation. A 6' stick of insulation should be enough for you to make covers for all your door knobs. Get a small can of glue that's made for the rubber insulation and you can glue one end closed which will make a little pouch that can be slipped over a doorknob. With the right outside diameter tube, the doorknob mount will be covered too. Here are links to the patents but I found no suppliers for ready made insulating covers:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I have read all posts below...what a mess.

I was searching the same solution. It is now summer and my door latch is fa iling prompting me to take it apart to diagnose. The internal components ar e full of condensation as the outside warm humid air leaks into the door kn ob opening and is cooled by either hardware or indoor AC temperature. My se arches reveal that door hardware freezes as the door hardware becomes the m ost prevalent source of leaking air in a tight home.

Solutions I have found so far include small rounds of bubble wrap cut to fi t, the idea for spray foam (was that yours? kinda sounds messy but a good i dea to displace all air). I have not seen any solution for the thermal brid ging aspect.

Consider hanging out on GreenBuildingAdvisor where more people are focused on these types of issues.

Have a great day.

On Friday, November 21, 2008 at 8:42:18 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

Reply to
Soon to build