Removing a lockable door chain after keys have been lost

An elderly relative has a lockable door chain for which the keys have been lost.

I thought it would be easier and cheaper to replace the whole thing than get replacement keys, as a new chain with two keys was only £6.

Unfortunately, when I went to remove the old one, I discovered the latch on the end of the chain prevents access to the lower securing screw.

Can anyone suggest a removal solution that doesn't involve drilling out the barrel, jemmying off the old hardware or calling out a locksmith?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
mike

I'd have to say angle grinder. Probably try to go "under" the cylinder but above the "flange". Alternatively grip it *very firmly* with a mole wrench and rock backwards and forwards, to try to loosen the screws. Provided these are not too long, you may be able to remove it without causing damage that can't be concealed by the new one.

Reply to
newshound

Dremel the bit of metal that's in the way with a thin cutting wheel so it falls in half.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I would think a big screw driver in the lock will turn it enough for the latch to work.

Reply to
dennis

Angle grinder.

Reply to
harry

Just curious but why on earth does it have a lock? The only function of the lock would appear to be to stop someone (on the inside) using the chain as a security device.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Um, no. The lock seems to only serve to prevent you putting the chain on, not to

Reply to
Tim+

Doh, ignore all that. Meant to cancel that post before sending. I misinterpreted the photograph.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Its there so you can get in when your elderly parent has put the chain on and gone to bed, fallen down, etc.

Reply to
dennis

Well spotted . Because when the door chain is at its stretched taut enough for somebody to get their hand through the door they obviously can't get the chain back far enough to the other end of the slot to unhook it. Whereas they should be able to use a key.

The fact that you're normally only supposed to put the chain on before opening the door ( presumably ) is no guarentee of the above scenario not happening.

michael adams

michael adams

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think an unfamiliarity with door chains and their operation is anything to be ashamed of. If people on UseNet only ever posted on topics in which they were truly experts the place would soon be empty, as the experts would soon get lonely.

michael adams

michael adams

father in law had one on his door and he used to slide the locking part together so it was on when he was OUT the house and used the key to re-enter, was a bit fiddly but I suppose he felt better with the extra security, but hey a hefty kick and you would have busted it.

Reply to
ss

That's what I was going to suggest. Highly likely to work.

Reply to
GB

Burglars really care about that sort of thing.

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

kept infirm from escaping

Reply to