GFI's?

That does it. I'm taking out the GFI's and replacing them with regular plugs. I'm tired of shutting off a fan in one room and the TV, DVR and Receiver dying in another room because of a touchy GFI. These things are worthless.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Don't be too hasty defeating a safety item. Try another GFCI (known good, hopefully new) in that location, and if the problem persists, better start looking for bad grounds, back stabber outlets or other funky wiring problems. Reliability of newer GFCI's is very good these days. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Hmmm, Why TV, DVR, Receiver would need GFCI?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

because when you plug your travel trailer into someone's driveway, the outlet is GFCIed?

Reply to
leeroy

I'm not sure what kind of reaction you were going for, but you should at least write a post that has some logic to it.

These thing*s* (plural) are worthless and you're taking out your GFI'*s* (plural) because of *a* (singular) touchy GFI?

I had a flat once. I guess I should throw away all of my tires.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Some TVs will trip a GFCI if they are also plugged into something with a grounded DC common like a PC. My Daewoo has since the day I got it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Why do you have a PC and TV plugged into a GFCI?

Or more importantly, why do you have a PC plugged into a circuit with something that trips a GFCI?

If you're not going to use an isolated circuit for your PC, at least move it to a circuit less prone to losing power.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It was a temporary connection from an outside outlet while I was working on the circuit

Why not? What is so special about a PC?

Why? What;'s so special about a PC?

Reply to
gfretwell

Before you eliminate your GFCI outlet(?) protection everywhere by replacing the GFCI with a standard receptacle...consider changing how the circuit is wired.

Sounds like you have a daisy chain of receptacles connected to the LOAD terminals on the GFCI... connect them to LINE terminals instead OR wire up pigtail style.

Now all of the "down stream receptacles" are no longer GFCI protected......installed additional GCFI outlets only where needed.

Should eliminate nuisance trips, plus any trips wil occur at the point of us.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Have you considered that the GFI might actually be functioning properly and that there is a problem with one of your appliances? As others have mentioned the newer GFI's are better and newer appliances have higher tolerances for leakage to ground. You can also change the wiring of the GFI so that receptacles downstream that do not need GFI protection can not be affected.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Because the drunk electrician who wired this house put regular outlets downstream from GFCI's. What a retard.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

I have noticed that if you just plug something in and you get a little spark because it's on, the GFCI will trip. Same goes if a switch is turned on or off. Any little spark and it trips. That's not safety, that stupidity.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

They have 2-prong cords.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Perhaps it's time to consider that either you have GFCI's that are overly sensitive or that you have some other problem. GFCI's can trip from a motor load, which is one reason they are not recommended for refrigerators. However, I haven't seen any of mine tripping from routine things that set yours off, like turning on a switch to routine lights or loads. You should realize that with millions of them installed, if they were behaving anything like yours, their would be problems all the time. As an example, I routinely use power tools outside on GFCI and that doesn't cause a trip.

Reply to
trader4

That shouldn't happen because a GFCI has a time delay that varies with the amount of leakage current -- a big leak will make will make it trip immediately, a small leak may not trip it for several seconds. UL standard 943 allows about 10 seconds for 4mA leakage, 0.3 second for about 250 mA. See page 4 of this document:

I had problems with one GFCI because the wiring in the circuit was pretty loose, and another GFCI was bad because the false tripping stopped after it was replaced.

I wouldn't say GFCIs are worthless because I was once shocked badly enough to cause one to trip. I might have been killed if the circuit had lacked GFCI protection. BTW that circuit has the overhead fluorescent lamp wired into it permanently, and there's no false tripping when that lamp is turned on or off, even though fluorescents put out big surges when turned on or off.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

That's okay if he used the LINE terminals instead of the LOAD terminals.

Reply to
HeyBub

I wired all my kids bedrooms this way. I realize there may be a few 'false alarms' but to save one of the kids accidently getting shocked or worse it's worth it.

Reply to
Mark

Meaningless; irrelevant.

Reply to
Twayne

Ahh, you're right! They should have all been upstream of course! THAT's the problem!

Reply to
Twayne

Why not just get a single GFCI breaker for that circuit instead of dubbing around with GFCI plugs? The ones behind beds or cabinets you can't set the god damn red light when they trip.

Reply to
Claude Hopper