GFI's?

I think Clauded was just posting for effect?

But since GFCIs trip due to a difference in the current flowing in the live and neutral wires, which may or may not be due to some grounding condition he should look further at what is causing it. Not discard the GFCI without further thought.

We all must be familiar with cases where there is a slight potential difference between the case of a piece of equipment, say a VCR or a DVD player separate from a TV and/or when there is a potential difference beteen such gear and a TV antenna cable grounded outside.

Again if the GFCI is shutting down a whole run of outlets? It could be moved to protect just those outlets where it is essential, not located at or near the start of a run of outlets whereby it will shut down everything downstream on that circuit!

I would suspect something leaky or slightly unbalanced within some piece of gear plugged into that circuit. And if there are numerous ancillary pieces plugged into a computer such as powered speakers etc. the chances of leakage are increased.

A GFCI located behind a piece of furniture doesn't sound like a good idea anyway!

The ones we have added to this house over the last few of our 38 years since we built this house are located so as to be visible/accessible.

One is in the garage just as one exits from the house into the garage and protects itself and another outlet outside next to a stored boat. Another is in the bathroom and protects itself and the one next to it. Another in the outside wall of an attached shed to protects any garden tool extension cords user.

We have one more to GFCI protect; outside the front door that occasionally gets covered by snow and used, also only occasionally, for Christmas lights or rarely by an electric trimmer**. I think we'll put an inside GFCI for that circuit next to some storage shelves at bottom of basement stairs and through one door. Above eye level it will be highly visible if tripped to anyone on their way to the washer and dryer!

** Also as previously mentioned we have one extension cord with a GFCI in a box on the end of it which is used for electric garden tools.

The GFCIs rarely trip and during the last few years we have had only one that went faulty.

PS. In Claude's case is there a loose neutral somewhere?

Reply to
terry

They should not trip unless there is something wrong.

Reply to
Phisherman

I suppose you all know the 2008 code requires AFCI on virtually all dwelling receptacles and that will incorporate ground fault protection. (at the 30ma level)

Reply to
gfretwell