GFI's

My brother was telling me that if you replace a regular outlet with a GFI, the whole circuit is protected?

I've added a couple of aquariums to my home since moving in and its pretty hard to move them after they been filled with water to replace the outlets (should have done it before).

Can I just find another outlet on that circuit and replace it with a GFI? Sounds too easy.

TIA John

Reply to
John H.

I believe it depends. All the circuits downstream from the GFI are protected IF you wire them though the GFI. This is usually done that way so often one bath may be protected by a GFI in another or in the basement. If it not passed through the GFI then no other circuits are protected. Note: some GFI's are put in the breaker box and that entire circuit will be protected.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Well, it depends on where in the branch curcuit the GFCI is installed. the outlets downstream (connected to the GFCI load terminals) will be protected same as the GFCI but ones upstrream (closer to the breaker box) or ones wired in parallel to the GFCI (to the line terminals) will not be protected.

So find another outlet on that circuit upstream from the aquarium. If you have done it correctly, when you test the GFCI, the aquarium will turn off also.

Reply to
PipeDown

Good point. Those are GFI breakers, not GFI outlets, :) and everything connected to that breaker is protected. Mine protects things all over the house, all of them near water. But since no one planned for the aquariums, you could put a GFI breaker in an added circuit that the aquarium uses.

Reply to
mm