Installing a sink

To seal the sink to the countertop and prevent any water from running under it, what sealant do you recomend?

Silicone 100% Plumbers Putty Other?

Reply to
Tony

I'm pretty sure it's silicone. The last sink I had installed for me. Well worth the money. :-)

Reply to
JimT

Putty. Works just fine and it is reasonably easy to remove the sink for replacement or other purpose.

Most will probably say "silicone". Good luck to them when they want a new sink.

Reply to
dadiOH

Hi, No under mounting? I used plumbers putty which came with the sink package.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

What do the instructions for the counter and sink say to use? Somtimes, putty can stain. Silicone is the safest in terms of being compatible.

Reply to
Frank McElrath

Sorry, I should have written this first. It's been in use for 10 or more years. It is stainless steel on formica like counter top. Currently in place but it seems to allow water underneath it. It gets a bad rotten odor sometimes, so I'm guessing water is going under and getting wicked up by the wood counter top. Since before I lived here there has been a small area where the laminate is bulging, as if it got wet underneath and swelled up. I already had it out a year or so ago and used silicone to reseal it. Still when I least expect it, it smells and I can't find the source. When I start sniffing around, the smell goes away. It does smell a little underneath, but nothing as bad as the occasional smell up top. The trap does hold water, and at one point I thought the smell had permeated the plastic drain and replaced that. Still smells. Again, excuse me for not telling the full story first.

Reply to
Tony

You might have gotten some moisture under the base cabinet. Any way to lift the bottom out to clean it?

When our sink was installed, the contractor ran silicone caulk around the rim of the sink on the undersurface and again around the edge after it was in place. That was after he tried to get away with no caulk or fasteners and a slightly warped sink. Late Friday, he thought we were dumb and wouldn't care, I guess.

Reply to
norminn