insolate my attic using spray foam

Hi

Is this good idea to do the insolation for a small attic? mine is like 3f x 7f attic. if yes, do you know home depo selling it or not, I live in Canada. I have not see such thing in home depo. I thought it is good idea and easy to do that is why.

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
leza wang

Hi, I don't think cover ing everything with foam is a good idea. I wouldn't bury the electrical fixture boxes in foam.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Spray foam is a very good insulation, but I'm not sure it is best for the attic. Do you have wires running up there and ceiling fixture boxes protruding?? You don't want to bury everything in foam. It he answer is no, then it will be OK. If yes, I'd use fiberglass.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A Vapor Retarder ? Our closed cell insulation does not absorb moisture, unlike open cell spray insulation, cellulose, or fiberglass.

I'd worry about trapping moisture and enabling mold, rot, etc.

Reply to
mike

Insolation? Or insulation?

Insolation is about blocking heat (or absorbing heat?) from sunlight - yes?

The product you are talking about is ridiculously expensive. That's why home despot doesn't carry it.

A small attic should be no problem to insulate properly using conventional fiberglass batting.

=========

========

Is that different than the type of spray foam used by commercial contractors?

Reply to
Home Guy

Or if getting into all the areas is an issue, could use one of the loose fill insulations that are designed to be blown in. In a tiny attic like this, it could probably be done by hand. Another important question, what, if anything, is there now?

In any case, expanding foam does not seem well suited to this app for the reasons already given.

Reply to
trader4

I went to the website and watched all of the videos etc. I thought it looked very interesting and I didn't know that these types of do-it-yourself spray insulation kits existed.

One thing I would be curious about is how the cost of having a spray-on insulation contractor do the work would compare to buying the Foam-It kits and doing it yourself -- especially for a larger job.

Reply to
Ron

Someone else here posted a good question. What is there now? Is there already any insulation in the attic? If so, where is it -- between the rafters or on the floor?

Is there a wood floor in your attic, or is the floor basically just open ceiling joists from the ceiling below? If it is open joists on the attic floor, you can easily and inexpensively just insulate the floor without dealing with any spray foam insulation.

Reply to
Ron

I'm in Western Canada. We have learned the value of insulation the hard way. Spray foam in the attic is a bad idea. There are a lot of insulation contractors that will blow cellulose into your attic at a reasonable price. Many lumberyards have a machine to blow in the cellulose if you buy the insulation from them. My neighbor and I did our attics that way.

LdB

Reply to
LdB