Inner Window Options

Between my front door and the corner of the house are five windows with only the aluminum frame triple track windows. Three open into the house while the end two open into an enclosed but unheated porch; a door separates the porch from the house. We lose a lot of heat in the winter through those three windows. I don't want to use the plastic wrap to seal the windows; I'd like to replace the three house windows but if I did so, I'd also have to replace the two porch windows to have a matching set. I hate to spend the extra money for two windows I don't really need.

Since the triple track are actually outside, tacked on to the outer window frame, I have about five inches between the triple track and the inner wall of the house. It seems that I should be able to get some sort of window to mount in that area, leaving the triple track in place. I suppose I could just get three regular double-hung windows at HD or Lowe's but I wondered if anyone knew of any special type of window for this sort of application.

Reply to
Pavel314

Get some literature on installing windows from Jeld-Wen, Pella or whoever you might buy the actual windows from. Study the procedure, and if you find it equal to your skill level, go ahead and replace all the windows. It might be helpful to visit a construction site on a weekend to see how the pros do the job. Your situation seems a bit more work than some, and you may have to wait on custom sizing orders, but once done you will definitely have noticeable energy savings.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

You're right, the obvious thing is to replace all five, which I'll probably end up doing, it's just that I'm horribly cheap and I hate to pay for two more windows that I don't really need. I have replaced windows over the years, two in this current house. I can get it done but not as efficiently as someone who does it for a living, of course.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314