Identifying a shutoff gate valve brand

Hi, The shutoff valve in my house does not work. I would like to fix it with parts of another valve, but I do not know what brand I need - the little identification plate that is usually on the handle is missing. It looks similar to

that the handle of the valve is light green in color, or blueish-green. The house was built in 1975. If you have the same valve, could you please tell me what brand it is it (it should be indicated on a small plate at the center of the handle). Thanks!

Reply to
Pefferie

Now's your chance to modernize it with a quarter turn ball valve. The odds on your being able to repair what you have are close to zero. Don't risk a future flood, do it right and you'll be saving money by not having to do it over. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Reply to
William Brown

Gate valves don't have washers, they use sliding plates or "gates". HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Yes, but if you look at the pic, what he has is not a gate valve, it's a regular one.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

The picture is of a 'gate valve'. What you call a 'regular' valve is a 'stop valve' which is the most common valve installed in homes. There is an outward difference in appearance between the two types. A 'gate valve' is usually shorter between the threaded ends and has straight sides between the base and the top. A 'stop valve' has a bulge, or 'belly', between the base and top to accommodate the split chamber inside.

Reply to
willshak

Thanks for pointing that out. I've only seen gate valves with the rectangular type handle, as opposed to a round one. That's why I mis-identified it.

Reply to
Chet Hayes